Baby Corner

Old 03-17-05, 10:04 AM
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Right boob has given up?!?

Help! I don't know what's going on here...My right breast has always "underperformed" compared to the left. I pump almost exclusively (DD BFs at night, EBM during the day) and I've always gotten about 4-6 oz from the left breast and 2-3 oz from the right. Well, the past several days, I can barely squeeze an ounce out of the right breast per pump. I haven't done a single thing differently. In fact, I've added a BFing session with DD on the right breast only in hopes of stimulating things. She doesn't seem to have a problem getting enough milk from it, but when I pump from it, I'm barely getting anything! This is really screwing up my daily totals. I'm used to being able to freeze the last pump of the day to build my supply before I go back to work next month. Now I'm just getting enough by the end of day - no freezer stash! Anyone have any ideas? Does this seem weird??

Old 03-17-05, 11:57 AM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I am there with you. My right doesn't produce the same amount either.

I can usually pump about 3-4 ou from the left, but I am lucky to get 1.5 ou from the right.

If I am going to pump, and can't quite get what I need, I add a little formula to make up the other ounce or 2.

That is up to you, but that is what I do.

Old 03-17-05, 05:21 PM
North Carolina

Thanked 8 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I had the same issue but my left didn't produce as much as my right

they were even different sizes

I'd say to keep trying to stimulate, pump and nurse on that side as often as possible without compromising your use of the left side so not to decrease that side too.

You haven't done anything wrong, I think its common for that to happen.

Old 03-17-05, 05:29 PM
Mommy of a toddler

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I had the same problem but mine was with my left. I found that when I drank more water during the day I could pump more from my "faulty boob". I could also pump TONS more from one boob, while my daughter nursed on the other side. I know that it sounds difficult and it is at first, but you get used to it pretty quick. I would try that and see if it helps. Good luck!

Old 03-18-05, 03:20 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I also get less milk from my right boob - weird to read how many other moms have the same problem! Other than that, I think that you are on the right track by stimulating it more with extra feeds. Good luck!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools