Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding Should I do something different?

Should I do something different?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-01-08, 04:31 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Question Should I do something different?

Preston is breastfeeding in block type of schedules. Basically he nurses like crazy for a good 3-4 hours until finally falling asleep and staying asleep. If he isn't nursing he's crying. Once he finally gets himself in a good enough sleep he sleeps really well for about 4 hours, then we start the cycle again. When do I try to get him to eat every 2-3 hours and sleep in between? I know he doesn't know the difference between night and day so he's up a lot during the late evening/night as well. Any thoughts? Thanks tons everyone.

Old 03-01-08, 04:55 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I was told as to nurse every 2-3 hours for 15-20 min on each side, and also to never to let him go more then 4 hours between feedings during the first month or so.

Old 03-01-08, 05:16 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I'd say give it a week and follow his cues-- he's so new, you're adjusting to getting milk in ,etc.... so everything is still falling into place.

once he poops and feels better- then I would try and get him to go 2 hrs or so between--right after he eats, try and get him to sleep and stay asleep after changing his diaper and making sure you get a good burp out of him....

my ped said as long as they have reached their birth weight and are over 6 lbs to let them sleep as long as they want at night, and wake them after 3-4 hrs during the day.... newborns will need to nurse 7-8 times a day and will make up for it at night if they dont get enough during the day.....

luckily L is eating every 2-4 hrs during the day-- and giving me a bot of a stretch at night-- but I remember the first few days at home were tough-- everything is falling into place.....

Old 03-01-08, 06:37 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

it it were me, I'd definately do something different.

I'd be out looking for a pacifier that he'd accept. Sometimes, you have to go thru a TON of styles before you find one that is exceptable but you will find one. Also, don't expect him to be able to keep it in his mouth. He doesn't have the suck power yet to keep it in the mouth on his own so you'll have to hold it to his face.

He's too young for it to be colic but he's not too old to have gas.
So make sure you're not eating stuff that would make him gassy and for sure make sure that his poop issues have been resolved.
AFTER that, then you can start working on the nursing schedule.

Old 03-01-08, 09:33 PM
is cold!
Mommy of two

Thanked 220 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Thanks tons everyone.

I'm just gonna let him do his thing for a bit more until I know his tummy is doing better. On the plus side - he pooped twice today so hopefully he'll have all that yucky stuff out by tomorrow.

Karen - you know what's funny, we bought every pacifier out there.

I have a huge bin full of them and the little stinker hates them all. We hold them in for him, but he gets VERY mad and extremely worked up. So I'll give him a bit longer to adjust to life and hopefully one of those paci's will interest him soon!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools