Baby Corner

Old 09-11-09, 12:02 AM
Community Member

Thanked 86 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default So frustrated :(

Our newest addition was born on 8/24 and she was almost 4 weeks early. I ended up getting induced because of high BP. The 2 days we were in the hospital after she was born we did not have much luck getting her to stay latched on. She was quite lathargic and would only latch on for less than a minute than fall back to sleep. Needless to say, that lack of her nursing placed us in the NICU with her having jaundice. I have been pumping non-stop since she was about 3 days old and try to offer the brest each time during the day. The last couple of days she has nursed a bit longer, but still not long enough to actually make a difference. I nursed my first daughter (age 7) and this time its just so frustrating and hard and the pumping is just wearing me out. I have a ton in the freezer and now I'm almost at the point where I'm having to dump since i have TONS. Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice or if I need to try and see a LC at an outpatient appt. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-09, 02:05 AM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I know that pumping is much harder then nursing and as long as you keep trying she will soon be stong enough to nurse. If she is taking a bottle well you can try a nipple shield on the breast and see if that helps her to latch on and then once she gets the hang of that you can slowly wean her off of the shied. I think most Lc will have you use the shield as a last resort but I dont know for sure! you can talk to an LC and/or they have LLL groups around the world. you can go to there website and fine a group in your area the website is

good luck and congrats on your little one! your doing a great job to be pumping and working so hard at it and Im sure it is worth the work!

Old 09-11-09, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

my DS was born almost 2 months early and was in the NICU for a month. I have two other little ones at home so I couldn't be at the NICU all day and night so I HAD to pump...he did not breastfeed well for the first 3-4 weeks but after that he slowly got the hang of it and was able to stay alert enough to eat. At this point I still have some in the freezer and I have stopped pumping. ( he is 7 months)

It did get easier but in the beginning it was all about pumping when he didn't eat enough directly.

good luck

Old 09-11-09, 09:39 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 2755.92%

I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there! My dd & I used the nipple sheild and I also pumped in the beginning, but eventually we were able to take the nipple sheild away and I only pumped to have some extra so I could nap or stock-pile. That's not to say I didn't shed some tears and read every thing I could get my hands on about breastfeeding....which made things worse in hindsight! Take a deep breath and relax! And I know the LC we had in the hospital actually made me feel better and like I was normal, so it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone IMO. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Old 09-11-09, 04:03 PM
Community Member

Thanked 86 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Thanks you guys! Makes me feel so much better knowing you all had luck getting your little ones to nurse. I've tried the sheild and she just doesn't seem interested that long. But I def. keep trying.

And She's taking 3-4 oz now and I'm getting double to triple that when I pump so I know my supply is fine. Will try and see if I can schedule an appt with the LC and hope to have more luck in the coming weeks. Thanks again!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools