Baby Corner

Old 09-12-09, 10:29 AM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Alisha- I had some of the same problems. Since DD was born almost 3 weeks early and was in the NICU for a week. I started pumping on day one since she was in the NICU and she breastfed okay while she was there, although it did wear her out. Then, when we got home she seemed to bf okay for the first week, but then she started refusing the breast. I also realized that when she refused and I was pumping I wasn't getting much so my supply went down and she also hadn't gained any wait. I pumped and pumped to get my supply back up and it did work. However, the bf did not. I used a nipple shield and she still could not get a good latch, plus with knowing that she wasn't getting enough that first week I was worried. So, I have kept pumping. I am actually pumping right now, lol! It is alot of work- really it is like doubling feedings (I still pump every 3 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night). But, I feel it is worth it. The LC I spoke too also suggested giving DD 1- 1 1/2 ounces and then try bf again. That way, you know your baby is getting some and they aren't crying and frustrated because they are hungry and you are less frustrated as well. I was really disappointed at first about not being able to bf as it was what we had planned on, but at least DD hasn't had to have formula and she has only had breastmilk- that is so important to me. Definitely see an LC- there are all sorts of things they can suggest and help you with. In the meantime, keep up the good work! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about pumping- going on two months I am starting to feel like a pro, lol!

Old 09-12-09, 10:58 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

I've been through the wringer with nursing and I can tell you that it's worth the troubles. There's nothing more rewarding than watching your baby grow, knowing that it's all your hard work that had provided the nourishment to make it happen.

Keep coming here with questions and frustrations. There's likely at least one person who has been there and can give you ideas and encouragement.

Also, contacting the LC in your area will definitely be a help. She'll have lots of great ideas and can be your strongest advocate--and you can put a price on that kind of support.

Good luck and keep at it. You're a super star and Morgan is benefitting from your commitment!!

Old 09-12-09, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 44.29%

I would keep freezing that breastmilk no matter what!!
You got great advice. The only thing I'll add is that right before I had Josh, a friend said "breastfeeding is hard work, and it takes about 6 weeks of hard work before it feels like it's working."
I thought she was nuts! What could be so hard about breastfeeding? Then I had Josh. I was ready to quit at about 5 weeks, even though he was latching on, and he was gaining weight. He was spitting up constantly, and I was in excriuciating pain. Then, after the 6th week, suddenly it did get easier. I still don't know why, but it really did. WIth both boys too.
So though I can't offer any other good advice I can tell you it should get easier....
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools