Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding switch boobs or not to switch?

switch boobs or not to switch?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-21-08, 01:05 PM
OMG! I have 3 kids!

Thanked 444 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%
Default switch boobs or not to switch?

hi guys.

Lola is now 8 weeks old. i have read a few places that i should keep her on one boob during feedings to ensure that she is getting the hind milk, etc. what do you guys think? also, how long should she be nursing on one side? i know each baby is different, but she seems to eat super fast....15 mins at the most. and i wonder if i should put her back on and keep trying. i keep reading about 40 mins nursing sessions, etc.

thanks for the help and advice

Old 03-21-08, 01:11 PM
is living life..
VIP Member

Thanked 263 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

In the very beginning our nursing sessions were longer.. simply because DS was not a professional nurser.. after a couple weeks/months.. he was extremely proficient.. he could clear out one side in under 10 minutes.. So I would always *try* the other side.. but sometimes he wouldn't want it.. lets just say.. this.. Aedan went from 8 pounds 5 ounces the day we came home to 10 pounds 2 days later .. my milk finally came in..

After that he'd nurse for a while on either side... but like I said after a while he was finished really quick.

It can't hurt to offer the other side..

Old 03-21-08, 01:21 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

na

if she's done early, then she's done.

The fact that you're pumping is messing up the fore and hind milk production. And so don't worry about any of that fore and hind milk stuff.

Honestly, whatever works. do that and don't listen to the 'experts'.

that fore and hind milk crap is mostly a load of crap. You don't have to worry about ANY of that if you're consistant in whatever you do. If you nurse on both sides, (and don't pump) then your body will make just enough milk for that and your baby will get all the fore and hind milk he/she needs.
If you nurse on just one side at a time, your body will compensate for that as well.
She'll get exactly what she needs in other words so there is no reason to make any changes if it is working right now.

Andrew ate for a mere 5 minutes and if I let him eat any more... he'd throw it all back up because he'd be over full. So don't worry about the time either.
the 'averages' are just that. Averages. But t hat doesn't mean if you aren't 'average' that you're doing it wrong. Most likely, you're just fine.

Congratulations on hitting the 8 week mark!

Old 03-21-08, 01:45 PM
is having another baby! Holy cow!!
Community Member

Thanked 196 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I wouldn't worry too much about what "they" say you "should" be doing. She's eating, and gaining weight, right? Can't be that bad!

Old 03-21-08, 02:25 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

Keep doing what you're doing. You and Lola know best at this point - you're veterans now!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools