Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parenting Message Boards > Breastfeeding for those who supplement with formula

for those who supplement with formula

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-29-05, 06:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 25.31%
Default for those who supplement with formula

I am thinking I may want to or need to supplement Josh soon with some formula. I know that it can decrease my milk supply, but I'm talking maybe 1 bottle a day, and I'd probably end up pumping most of the time (instead of that feeding). My milk supply is practically nothing by the end of the day when I've exerted myself. I know, I know-- then don't do that, right? Well, I have a lot on my plate (including 2 extra kids with a lot of energy) so I don't see that happening. Plus, Josh has all of a sudden become a "snacker" where he wants to nurse for 5-10 mins on 1 side and then fall asleep. Also, I am going back to work in a couple months, and although I will be able to pump, it won't be enough to exclusively bf anymore. He will be going to some kind of alternate care and I don't want to introduce the formula and the new care-thing all at once.

I have some questions.

1) How old was your baby when you first supplemented and how much did you give him/her?'
2) Were you glad you did it?
3) How did you do it? Instead of a feeding?
4) How did bf'ing go once you introduced it?
5) Do you have any suggestions for me?

Old 05-29-05, 07:04 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I don't know how old Josh is, but I hear you on notbeing able to rest! I have less milk this time around and I can only guess that it's becuase I have much more on my plate with a 3 year old plus a baby who doesn't sleep well!

OK, here goes:
1) How old was your baby when you first supplemented and how much did you give him/her?
Tristan was 9 months old, I'd been back at work for 3 months and he started sleeping through the night at 8 1/2 months and that's when my milk supply dropped - drastically. I had been expressing 3 full bottle a day and then I could barely express one full bottle! He started out having one extra bottle of formula a day.

No, it broke my heart. I'd really bought into the whole "formula is poison" brainwashing!

I was expressing for him during the day, so I'd just send a bottle of formula to make up the whole amount he needed that I was not being able to provide.

He preferred to drink from a bottle (and he got nipple confusion too!) and gradually started dropping feeds, which I replaced with formula feeds, and weaned himself from the breast 2 weeks before his 1st birthday.

Follow your instincts and do what works for YOU.

Old 05-29-05, 11:13 PM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

1) How old was your baby when you first supplemented and how much did you give him/her?'

Keagan was about 3 weeks old. He had jaundice, and the dr made me start supplementing, because he wasn't gaining weight. I would nurse first, then give him about 2 oz of formula.

At first, it was hard, because I would nurse and then have to feed him formula, so it took a while. Now, he nurses first thing in the morning, once during the day, and before bed at night. I don't have the best milk supply, but he is still getting some bm.

I started out doing it right after each feeding as instructed by the dr, then after he started gaining weight, I did replace feedings. For a while, I did every other feeding.

Well, I can still pump around 4 ou when I don't nurse one of the 3 times, so I still have somewhat of a milk supply.

I say do what you feel you need to. If you have 2 other kiddos running around, I have a 4 and 2 yr old also, than you might need to supplemement, just so you aren't always tied to the baby.

I know that sounds harsh, but it was extremely difficult for me to find time every 2 hrs to nurse for 30-45 min a time.

Old 06-01-05, 09:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

1) How old was your baby when you first supplemented and how much did you give him/her?' I never really supplemented but I slowly started introducing formula at about 3 months knowing that I would need to wean her at around 4 months when I returned to work.
2) Were you glad you did it? It was hard at first - a lot of guilt and she really didn't like formula, but after a few weeks, she clearly preferred the formula over breastmilk, so that made it easier.
3) How did you do it? Instead of a feeding? I pumped exclusively during the day starting at 2 weeks and BF'd at night, so it was much easier for me. I started by doing a bottle of half formula/half BM at bedtime, then a full bottle of formula at bedtime, then 2 bottles a day, 3 etc. until she was totally switched. In all, we did it over the course of a month.
4) How did bf'ing go once you introduced it? Maddy never had any problem going back and forth between the bottle/boob. We gave her a bottle at 2 weeks and she always loved the boob just as well.
5) Do you have any suggestions for me? Do it slowly! You'll feel better and so will he!

Old 06-02-05, 12:09 PM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

1) How old was your baby when you first supplemented and how much did you give him/her?
Ashlyn started getting 2 bottles of formula 2 months ago. Aiden was 6 weeks.

Not at all. It kills me to mix that stuff. I hate it I hate it I hate it. Makes me want to cry. (sorry being absolutely honest here) I wish I could pump enough to strictly bf, but my schedule has been screwed up!

She already had bm bottles, so I filled it with formula.. Lactose free as she has problems with me drinking milk. Aiden had Soy, but then I found out Kevin was allergic to Soy so that is why I went with Lacto free with Ashlyn.

Great. She prefers bf 99% of the time. There are times where she wants a bottle, but that is usally just before day care if she didn't nurse.

Not sure, my transitions went great.. for all of the kids. I use Playtex bottles, Ashlyn doesn't 'get' the old bottles.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools