Baby Corner

Old 12-07-04, 03:33 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.83%
Default Trying so hard

I am trying so hard at bf Chloe, but I just don't know. I thought she was doing really good with latching on, but I am getting really sore.

I have been nursing her every 2 hours during the day, cause she was a bit jaudice when we came home from the hospital. She is 5 days old today, and I am so engorged on my right breast. How can I make it better?

I am also having a really hard time getting her to burp. I have tried all the different ways, over my shoulder, laying across my legs, sitting over everything. Do you ladies have any advice? I don't want to give up.

TIA for any information you might have.

Old 12-07-04, 05:00 PM
Inner Peace=World Peace

Thanked 82 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

From my experience, if my son didn't burp after a few minutes, then he didn't need to burp. He has nver had a problem with spitting up. As for being sore, that can be normal if Chloe is latched on well. Often mine would be sore for the first few minutes and then the sorness would pass. The key really is a good latch. As far as engorgement, I never really had that problem so I don't have any suggestions other than pumping.

Old 12-07-04, 05:43 PM
Computer Geek & Mom

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

Yup, I'd suggest pumping too. Good to have a few bags frozen just in case. Standing in a nice hot shower with the water running on the offending breast can also help. You might just be sore because your nipples are getting used to all the attention

or you might have a latch problem. At 5 days you can expect things to be a little difficult, that is perfectly NORMAL. My DD took a couple of weeks before she really seemed to get the hang of it and I had to work hard at getting her to latch properly, not just on the nipple. It even got as bad as literally cracked and bleeding! But here we are, past 13 months and still going strong

Old 12-07-04, 07:20 PM
Charlotte's mommy

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

Some babies just don't need to burp. When I was a baby my parents used to pat my back for hours trying to get me to burp. I just kept screaming. When they gave up I was fine and able to sleep.

Old 12-07-04, 07:43 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.83%

My ped also said that if they don't burp, then they really didn't have to.

As for being sore, keep at it. I was sooo sore with sarah. It wasn't nearly so bad with Andrew cuz he was a way better sucker than her.
Engorged is a good thing. you can try hand expressing a little milk before letting her latch on. Sometimes that helps her with her latch when you're not so grossly engorged. (my kids both had a hard time the fuller I was)
I had to hold and push down on my poor breast so that there was a breathing pocket for poor Sarah's nose (and Andrew too) cuz I was sooo dang full.

Keep at it, the soreness will get better soon. You're using the lanoshin (sp?) salve after each nursing session, right? This will help the soreness alot
Post Reply Post New Topic  

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools