Baby Corner

Old 05-14-10, 03:35 PM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default weaning advice- help!

I am the mom of 2 teenagers, both of whom I nursed for around a year. I have a 14 month old now, with my second husband. For the life of me I must have blacked out the weaning process. I am looking for advice on cutting out those last three daily feedings. I am still nursing first thing in the morning, before afternoon nap and at bedtime. And this one just does not want to give up the boobies. I am at a loss and looking for any advice or secrets I seem to have forgotten. I know that as the weather is getting nicer here that a walk before the afternoon nap may help with distraction and I think that if I can get the little miss to sleep without nursing then she will be okay until bedtime, but any ideas would be appreciated. I had her trying to cut out that afternoon feeding and then she cut 4 teeth in one weekend and totally gave up eating and went back to full time nursing for 4 or 5 days. Anyway, I am trying to convince dad that he may have to help......

Old 05-14-10, 04:07 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

I don't really have any advice as my daughter pretty much weaned herself & my supply had drastically dropped, so we stopped BF around 9 months. By the time she was 1 year old, she was using sippy cups and then we did the switch to whole milk. And she also was eating baby food, then table food so an actual feeding from liquid became a thing of the past quickly.

I think it is fairly normal for toddlers appetite to change with growing pains, teething, and illness. When our dd was teething, mainly the molars, she seemed to only want to eat applesauce & yogurt. She also drank milk & diliuted juice. This only lasted a few days and then she was back to her bottom-less-pit-of-a-stomach self! Will your 14 month old not take a bottle or sippy cup in place of a nursing session?

Old 05-15-10, 10:15 AM
Community Member

Thanked 2 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

she will drink out of a cup of any kind, she will not drink out of a bottle except to goof around. she will definitely not do either of those things if she is sleepy or wanting to nurse. she is not crazy about milk, she eats whatever we eat and never really was into baby food. I don't think the nursing is for nourishment, I think it is comfort and habit. she has never taken a soother etc...
I started last nite and we got thru the night with only one little nuzzle and no tears. I am going to work to have night feedings out of the way by the end of the weekend. We are going on vacation next week and I think with the whole family around and all the activity going on I will be able to get rid of the nap feeding as well. We'll see....

Old 05-15-10, 10:38 AM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

Well I was going to say to save the nighttime feeding for the last to lose, but if it worked with no tears for you good. My DD REFUSED a bottle or any kind of milk that was not mine, so when I started nudging her toward weaning it wasn't until around 16 months, and she was still nursing many times at night and a few during the day. I did away with the easiest ones first, first it was the one when I would get home from work, instead of nursing her then we would go to the park or for a long walk, anything to distract her. Then the one first thing in the morning again I would distract her and then her daddy would take her while I went off to work. Then I did away with the middle of the night nursing, the last thing to go was the going to bed at night boob. The whole process took months. I'm not a fan of CIO, so I couldn't do that to her. Good luck! I hope this is easy for both of you.

Old 05-19-10, 12:32 PM
is aka Andrea
Community Member

Thanked 218 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

my son was almost 28 moths before I got him to wean! lol the best way is to first cut out all night nursing. I did that by just not letting him nurse in bed at all. (he slept in bed with me) he screamed when I told him no so I would just avoid that word but still not let him nurse. I would say nunnies went night night. (nunnies is what we called it) or some nights I would just ignore him and pretend to be asleep. after about a week he was not waking to nurse anymore and then I drooped the other feedings one at a time starting with his least favorite.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools