Baby Corner

Old 04-01-05, 01:19 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%
Thumbs down "You have to stop breastfeeding."

This is what the pediatrician told me today.

Charlotte is more than 3 weeks old and still an ounce under her birth weight, so the ped wants me to formula feed her over the weekend to see if she gains more. UGH! She's gained 7 ounces in the last 7 days, which is what they originally said they wanted to see--an ounce per day.

BUT--I'm not really following it to the tee. I'm going to bf throughout the day and at night, DH is going to give her a bottle a couple times, so to get the 11-13 ounces of formula per day. I'll supplement with The SNS throughout the day if I can, but I'm not going to kill myself to do it. I feel comfortable that she'll gain enough in plenty of time, but the doc has to abide by standards, I guess.

I'm so frustrated. I called DH on the way home while I was SOBBING my eyes out. It wasn't this hard with Sarah--but I just can't bring myself to give up altogether before the full 6-week trial is up.

Feeling sad today...wishing my baby would gain weight on my milk--not formula.

Old 04-01-05, 01:57 PM
Mom to 3 (7,5,3)

Thanked 2 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

Know exactly how you feel. Keagan had jaundice in the beginning, and he stayed under his birth weight until he was a month!

The dr asked me if I would consider formula, and I said I really wanted to bf. So we started to supplement like you. It worked!!

He now weighs 13 lb 6 oz, he started gaining like crazy when we started to supplement.

I have actually been able to cut down on the formula some.

I wouldn't quit bfing entirely, at least she will get your bm some of the time.

Right now, I usually bottlefeed everyother feeding. I still have a pretty good milk supply too, which is amazing.

Hang in there, and don't let the ped talk you out of bfing.

Old 04-01-05, 02:36 PM
Proudly South African mom

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Supplement until she is gaining and then you can eventually BF exclusively. I'm sure that things will improve. Don't forget to look after yourself in all this either, Deanna.

Old 04-01-05, 02:56 PM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

Hmm.. maybe you should call back and ask what she wants to see... As since she originally said an ounce a day, and now is gaining that (although not up to the birthweight yet, but that is probably because of the rocky start) you may not need to supplement. BUT if you do supplement, why not nurse her, then supplement afterwards. if she is hungry she'll take it, if not, she won't.

I mean you can only feed her as much as she will eat right?

Old 04-01-05, 03:22 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

well it sounds to me like she's finally making progress -- so you can at least give it one more week the way you are and if there still isn't progress, then maybe start supplimenting a little here and there.

Latest Articles
Overprotective Husbands During Pregnancy
Is your husband driving you insane by being too overprotective during your pregnancy? Here are ways to handle this common problem without getting into a fight.

Why You Missed Your Period When You are Not Pregnant
Find out what the cause might be when you have missed your period, but a pregnancy test had a negative result.

Getting to Know Baby Before Birth
Want to get to know your baby before birth? Here are seven ways you can bond with your baby during pregnancy.

When Your Child Won't Potty Train
You're all excited to begin potty training and feel this will be a breeze, however your toddler has other plans. If you toddler is being difficult and refuses to potty train, follow these tips for success.

Can Recurrent Miscarriages Be Prevented?
Research is now pointing to uterine natural killer cells to miscarriage which may provide a treatment to prevent future miscarriages in women.

November 2013 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations briannashae123!

Calculators & Tools