Baby Corner

Old 12-28-05, 12:23 PM
Mommy to Five!

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Question Your Perspective?

I am mom to five and new to this site, but I was wondering what your perspective on Bf in public mihgt be. and if you think it okay, what age is too old in public? My youngest is a year old and she nures more than any of my others did at this age, so bf in public has become an issue I am dealing with. My dh thinks I have to be very careful and rightfully so, just to respect the privacy of others, though I am her sole supply of milk and if she is hungry why should I not feed her? Just Wondering? Macoymom

Old 12-28-05, 06:00 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

my thought and feeling is..
At 1 year of age, they should be only drinking milk about 3x a day - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Given that - I feel that BFing in public can easily be avoided since a one year old can also have juices etc instead of milk for the meals when 'out'.
A one year old should most definately NOT be having milk as their only source of food at that time so their 'hunger' can definately and easily be satisfied by other means as well. BFing is not a requirement in other words.

At one year of age, I don't see why - if a baby really is attached to BFing still -- and you're in a position where they really need that milk for whatever reason -- then you should do your best to be discrete about it. Go to an uninhabited part of the house you are visiting or find a 'lounge' at the mall specifically for this purpose. That's my opinion.
Yes, nursing is a natural thing. But here in the US, it is not 'normal' for children over around 1 to be seen being nursed publically. That's not to say they shouldn't, but why upset people unnecessarily?

Old 12-28-05, 08:37 PM
Soon-to-Be Mommy of 3!

Thanked 309 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Wow, that was really harsh. You should do what YOU think is right, and while you don't want to offend anyone unnecessarily, there's no reason for you to deny your daughter and yourself the breastfeeding experience because you're afraid of how strangers might feel. Your daughter should be old enough to understand that she may have to wait a few minutes to get somewhere a little less crowded, or even until you get home, but if that's not going to work then go ahead and nurse her. At a year old, however, she definitely can have cow's milk (as long as she's not allergic) and should be having food as well, so maybe you could make nursing just an "at home" thing, or even reserve it for bedtime only? That might solve a lot of the issues, while still allowing you to have that special bond.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-05, 08:54 PM
Community Member

Thanked 30 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Nurse your baby however long she wants where ever you want!

Old 12-28-05, 09:19 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

I agree that it is not "normal" to see someone nursing a year old in public, but that is part of the problem. First off you shouldn't ever worry about upsetting ANYONE because you are bfing. As long as you are being respectful of yourself and others there is no reason to hide nursing your child. Should a one year old be able to be distracted or wait, sure. But my DD was a boob-aholic and sometimes there was nothing that would calm her down accept nursing. Every child is different in their need to nurse some can take it or leave it and others "need" it more. Don't make your DD suffer needlessly because people can't seperate sex and breasts.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools