Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/breastfeeding-4)
-   -   Rough time nursing.. how long it took for mom and baby's to get it! (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/breastfeeding-4/rough-time-nursing-how-long-took-mom-babys-get-283879)

NicholeMatthew 04-12-06 01:09 PM

Rough time nursing.. how long it took for mom and baby's to get it!

Had a rough time nursing? You deserve cheers for sticking through the ups and downs and giving babies what was best, even if it was only for a little while!

So post your name and how long it took you to get your little one to nurse, and what kind of problems you had!

Dopey406 04-12-06 05:31 PM

Name: I'm Deanna and our second DD, Charlotte, was born March 5, 2005.

How long: It took us about 3 months to get fully established.

What happened: She was born during a placental abruption through a 6cm cervix and had breathed more than 12 cc's of blood into her lungs. She nursed right away in the delivery room, but because her blood sugars were all over the place because of the traumatic birth, the nurses bottle-fed her in the nursery several times during the first 24 hours. After that, she had difficulty nursing. Also because of the trauma, my pituitary gland was damaged which hindered my body's ability to make milk.

SO--during the first 5 weeks, until my milk supply really started to come in, I had to use many methods to keep her nursing.

What we did: We tried syringe-feeding, a supplemental nursing system, I rented a Lactina for constant pumping, spoon-feeding, and lots of tongue training. We had to see the LC for twice weekly weigh ins and the ped every week for weigh ins.

Why: I'm so glad we stuck with it. It was NOT easy or painless or without loads of tears or sobs in the shower--but our little Charlotte is now 13 months old and still nursing!! :clap: It's one of the best decisions I've ever made! :happytear

janp 04-13-06 06:07 PM

Sorry to steal this format Deanna but it was so nice and organized.:wink4:

Name: I'm Jennifer and my first DD and I had problems

How long: It took us about 6 weeks.

What was the problem: Bad latch and tongue thrust and I had extremely large breasts and flat nipples (Boy did that one get me when a nurse just spit it out in the hospital - "Oh, you have flat nipples no wonder you're having problems":huh: )

What we did: We tried everything under the sun. I really think that the first Lactation Consultant that came into my room made things much worse. The man handiling that she did of my breasts:yuck: :angry1: . I was in so much pain from her and I had gone through 20 hours of labor, 19hrs on Pitocin, 7hrs maxed out on Pitocin and no pain meds the whole time until I had to go for a C-section, so I know i wasn't a wimp. I ended up cracked and bleeding in a matter of 90 minutes. The second LC the next day was sooooo much better. She appologized for the other LC. We tried all the different tricks and techniques. Syringes, Haberman feeder, Supplemental Feeding system. Finally we were getting some success with nipple shields. I was so cracked and sore there were so many times I just couldn't take it any more. Luckily even though DH and I were having troubles he was extremely supportive. After 6 weeks we finally could leave the nipple sheilds behind.

Why: Deanna's so right that when you have problems there is pain and it isn't easy, you cry and can feel like a failure. Don't forget you're soooo hormonal at this stage crying happens for all kinds of reasons and for none at all. But if you do the best that you can do, you are being the best mommy you can be to your little one.

Outcome: DD and I breastfed for many happy years, exactly 3 years 4 months until she self weaned. We successfully nursed through my pregnancy with DD2 even though I kept being put in the hospital for dehydration there was always plenty of breastmilk. The best part of this long term nursing was I didn't have any problems with my nipples the second time around.:lol: This July I will be BFing 6 years non-stop unless DD2 self weans before then. After this the old girls deserve anything they want, they just have to yell into the belly button to let me know:blah:

NicholeMatthew 04-17-06 03:54 PM

Name: I'm Nichole, my first gave me troubles

How long: 6 weeks and something clicked! With my 2nd we had thrush and I swear I cried every time I nursed. I pumped and bottle fed and felt guilty! It was horrible. That only lasted a week maybe two.

What was the problem: Large chest, strange positioning, flat nipples, finding the right way to hold that tiny baby and nurse...with bowling balls on your chest

What we did: kicked dh out of the room, shut the door, and had peace and quiet. We eventually got it. The nurse and the LC showed my the side position, and it worked best for us... we finally got it down and it was great.

Why: I have been determained to breastfeed since I have imagined being a mom. So I was determained to get it down. That is why I stuck with it and told dh to shut up when the baby was crying and I was trying to nurse. It was difficult because he was chirping 'just give him formula' in the background. He now says he is GLAD I stuck with it. . .

Outcome: Well he nursed for 3 years exactly. :lol: We nursed through Aiden's pregnancy, tandam nursed with help from people here. Then when pg with #3 we weaned 2 months after I found out... I didn't have enough bm and he was biting me! :lol: We went through thrush once with Aiden (and Kevin) but one treatement worked well for us. I have officially been nursing for 5 straight years.... No break! :rotfl:

JessicaE 04-17-06 09:24 PM

Name: I'm Jessica and my second gave me problems

How long: We had issues (may still have more) for probably five months

What was the problem: Couldn't pump at first, then Owen wouldn't take a bottle. Then, once I went back to work, we both got thrush. Then, he bit me so bad I bled and it got infected. Still nursing at least once, typically twice in the middle of the night.

What we did: I pumped and pumped until it finally worked. I tried about four types of bottles and three types of nipples. We both got medicine for the thrush. As far as the biting goes, after he bit me, I stopped letting him stay attached when he's done eating after he's fallen asleep. Plus, I had to pump the side with the bite so that it wouldn't continue to get infected from his mouth.

Outcome: So far, still going strong and hope to continue until he's at least one.