Baby Corner Message Board

Baby Corner Message Board (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/)
-   Breastfeeding (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/breastfeeding-4)
-   -   Sugg needed for increasing milk supply (http://www.thebabycorner.com/boards/breastfeeding-4/sugg-needed-increasing-milk-supply-401799)

2babygirls 09-12-11 04:59 PM

Sugg needed for increasing milk supply

No not for me...although I do miss it sometimes!

My newest grandbaby was born 8/17/11 & my DIL says she doesn't seem satisfied after nursing. The pediatrician told her to try pumping every hour. What else is supposed to be helpful besides drinking tons of water? Was it oatmeal?

Mommy2KNIH 09-12-11 05:17 PM

Yes, eating lots of oatmeal. Even if she eats oatmeal cookies it will help. Also, if she gets these pills called Fennugreek (I think that is how it is spelled), that stuff helps too. I think she can take up to 3 pills 3 times a day but it has directions on it. They smell like maple syrup and she will start to smell like maple syrup too but it works. I think there is also some tea she can drink called mothers milk tea or something to that effect. I tried it and didnt like it but its worth a try. I know there is one other thing that I tried but I cant remember the name of it. For some reason Milk Thistle is stuck in my head but I am not sure that is what it is called. In fact I am pretty sure it isnt but I cant think of the name of it :lol: Hope one of those helps her out. And then if she just drinks a TON of water and pumps or nurses like crazy, it should increase. I always nursed my baby and then pumped after the baby nursed so that my body would think it needed to make more milk since it works on supply and demand but I started this from the day I got home from the hospital so my body started producing more milk then my baby could take from the beginning and I always had extra milk. It also ment I always had to pump after nursing but it was worth it to me because I never had to supplement with formula and even after I quit nursing, I had milk in the freezer for about 6 months after that. Good Luck :)

Dopey406 09-12-11 06:05 PM

Fenugreek will probably help--she'll smell like maple syrup for a long time but it'll help. :lol:

Also, I had good success with More Milk Plus supplements. They're made by a company called MotherLove and they're a combination of supplements designed to increase milk supply.

Continuing to nurse frequently, drink a ton of water, eat oatmeal, and pumping between nursing will definitely help. It'll likely take 2-4 weeks to really notice a difference so encourage her to keep it up. :hug:

Mommy2KNIH 09-14-11 05:20 PM

Oh yes, I forgot to mention I did pump in between feedings too. For example, if baby would go 3 hours between feeding time, I would pump after 1.5 hours so my body thought it needed to produce milk every 1.5 hours. It might take a while for her to get her body to do this at first but if she sticks with it, it will happen and be TOTALLY worth it in the end!!

2babygirls 09-14-11 08:02 PM

Thank you from both of us!