Baby Corner

Old 06-15-11, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 62%
Default allergy results

Well, this didn't go quite as I had thought. The "normal panel" of allergy testing doesn't include peanuts or strawberries! WTH? So they just "assumed" he was allergic to peanuts because of the rash around the mouth and the eyes!! Well, I would certainly like to know HOW allergic he is them, or if it was something else.

He is also allergic to egg whites, and has a "severe" allergy to cats.

It was very frustrating because the nurse who called was one step away from saying "Don't give him peanuts and eggwhites you moron!" Isn't there so much more to it? When I asked her further, she said that he really shouldn't have anything containing egg whites either. Well, doesn't everything have egg in it? He has had baked goods many times and not had a reaction but I thought each exposure leads to a worse reaction, so how do I know if he really can tolerate those things or not?

So, I liked the allergist we went to see for Matthew. I should have just gone straight there in the first place. I think we'll call for an appointment tomorrow. I know this isn't the end of the world but I want to hadle it correctly!

Old 06-16-11, 12:45 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 8607%

I think you'll find better results with the allergist.

Alex is allergic to eggs, dairy, & nuts (except almonds). HOWEVER, we're able to give him certain baked goods and our allergist told us to do that on a trial and error basis. Baking eggs changes the chemical properties and kids with egg allergies respond well to baked goods.

So don't fret. If he's been eating baked goods without issue, he's probably fine.

Old 06-16-11, 08:32 AM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

How frustrating! Didn't they think to add a peanut allergy test to the mix?
I am sure the allergist will be able to shed some light on the subject. my nephew had a milk protein allergy along with eggs and a few others and they just keep trying things as he gets older and keep testing his blood to see if he still makes the antibodies. The doc said to initially avoid all eggs, but to add baked goods and things with eggs a little at a time to make sure they could trace where the reactions came from.
Just remember that the flu shot is made with egg product, so he may have to avoid that if you are a flu shot family.
Good luck! Hopefully the allergist will have more specific info for you.

Old 06-16-11, 11:00 AM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 1922%

How frustrating. DH suggested getting an allergy test done w/ the girls. How do you go about finding one?

Old 06-16-11, 10:30 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Danielle: we asked the pediatrician for a recommendation to an allergist.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools