Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe Attachment Parenting ???

Attachment Parenting ???

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 05-16-06, 11:45 AM
Banned

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0%

AP is the practice of parenting to your childs needs not how you 'think' your child should be raised. If a child will only sleep in your bed, then you adapt. If your child wants to be held all the time, they that is where the baby wearing comes into play. It is more of a natural approach: ie breastfeeding, being with your baby most of the time, sleeping with baby and tending to the needs at all hours of the day and night. Instead of 'training' your infant to sleep, you allow nature to take its course, and not allow CIO and find other ways for the infant to soothe itself. I AP even though I don't wear my baby (oh how I wish I had a sling then it may be easier to hold them all the time!)

But that is pretty much what AP is.

I wanted to add that you don't have to sleep, wear or nurse your child to practice AP, because not all those things are responding to the needs of the child. If your child WANTS his own space then you give it to him, therefore you may not be doing all of that.

Old 05-16-06, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 0%

Oh I see, thanks

Old 05-31-06, 12:53 PM
Is now legally Mrs. DP

Thanked 18 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

Nichole That was a great description!!! This was PERFECT:

Quote:
AP is the practice of parenting to your childs needs not how you 'think' your child should be raised
It's all about listening to your baby, not doing what you have been told to do i.e. letting a baby CIO because "it's good for their lungs" or "they need to learn to self soothe". Why does a 8 week old baby need to sooth him/herself? WHA?? Isn't that why they have a mommy? I think it's all about listening to your maternal instincts. I AP parent and I think it's a great style of parenting. I already definitely see the rewards with Shaye.

Old 05-31-06, 01:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I think I do a bit of attachment parenting, and then a bit of the old fashioned kind. Depends on the child Unfortunately I can't wear any of my babies. I have bought almost every sling out there and even different upright carriers, and it kills my upper back and shoulders

Old 06-01-06, 12:19 AM
Yankee Mama

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I also AP parent. I let Either child tell me what they need and I cater to them.. Alexis is 26 months old and she still sleeps in bed with me, I tried moving her out once just into a bed beside my bed and she screamed and screamed and screamed then when I wasn't looking flew out of her bed ran around mine and jumped in and cuddled up with me.. That very same night I took her bed out of my room. I couldn't do it.. Alyssa dosnt not sleep with me all night.. she is in a co sleeper mainly for her safety. She does sleep in bed fairly offten though because i fall asleep. Alyssa also is 7 months old and still wakes 3-4 times at night to eat.. and I feed her.. yeah I know its out of habbit.. yeah I know she can go over 8 hours without eating, she does it during the day. But I am not going to let her scream in the middle of the night and get herself all worked up when it is simple for me to reach over grab her stick her on a boob and go back to sleep.. kwim? I didn't start AP parenting knowing what it is. I didn't know about it till Alexis was almost a year old.. It's just the way I parented. I don't wear Alexis. but I carry her all the time and soon I will be able to wear Alyssa thanx to Dopey.. AP parenting is alot of work, but raising a child any kind of way is alot of work.. but always very rewarding..

Latest Articles
TTC Lingo: A Guide to Trying to Conceive Acronyms
Have you ever wondered what all the trying to conceive acronyms mean? Here are the most common acronyms used in online trying to conceive and fertility communities.

So Breech Babies Have To Be Delivered By Cesarean?
Researchers in one study discuss the dangers of delivering a baby in a breech presentation vaginally vs having a c-section.

Trouble Conceiving? You Might Have a Vitamin D Deficiency
One study is showing a connection between infertility in men and women who undergo IVF unsuccessfully are Vitamin D deficient.

Pregnant Women Should Get Whooping Cough Vaccine Experts Say
A new study has shown that pregnant women who receive the pertussis (Whooping Cough) vaccine during pregnancy can protect herself and give her baby the antibodies needed for Whooping Cough protection before his/her first vaccination.

The Dangers of Antibacterial Soap Use for Pregnant Women & Fetuses
Should pregnant women use antibacterial soap? The FDA says no due to the potential for certain ingredients to pose health risks to pregnant mother's and their babies.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools