Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe Interesting Article: Why are so many female teachers sleeping with their students?

Interesting Article: Why are so many female teachers sleeping with their students?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-25-12, 02:48 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 3742%
Default Interesting Article: Why are so many female teachers sleeping with their students?

I find this to be an interesting subject. Three of my four years in college I taught/ran a classroom at a local daycare center. I was offered the position after a year of volunteer work and was told they really wanted a male on staff. From the beginning I was treated differently by the parents, not bad, but with an air of suspicion that the female teachers never got. That all passed with time and was never really an issue. fficeffice" />

Now it seems lately there is a rash of cases where female teachers (usually aged 20-35 and often married with children) are having sex with 13-17yr old male students. It bothers me because most often they receive far less harsh sentences than if the genders were reversed.

Would you guys as parents view it any differently if your 15yr son had sex with his 28yr old female teacher than if your 15yr daughter had sex with her 28yr old male teacher??

Anyway this article is very interesting and brings the rise of social media as partly to blame:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...obref=obinsite

Old 06-25-12, 09:59 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 6752%

All I can think about when I read that is one of the supervisors at my work. She is around 50 now and has been married to the same man since she was 14 years old. Her mom had to "sign off" to allow her to marry. The clincher? Her husband is like 10 years older than her. I keep wondering what her mom was thinking and how on earth that conversation went.

But in regard to your question- yes, of course I would be terriby pissed off if either of my children had an adult leering after them, teacher or not. If it is my son is or daughter. Stay the eff away from kids!

Old 06-26-12, 11:46 AM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Weekly Activity 3742%

I think a big part of this is what they allude to in the erosion of authority. Everyone just wants to be "friends". This doesn't just happen on the student/teacher dynamic but also on the parent/child dynamic. In my opinion far too many parents these days are more concerned with being their kids best friends instead of their parents (which in turn increases underage drinking, sex, etc. because the parents don't want to be the "bad guy"). I think we're seeing the same mentality spill over into the education world where a lot of these newer teachers want to be like Mr. Schuester from Glee and not the old school type teachers that they remember from school. In doing so they take it too far and lose their authority in the process, thereby opening the door wide for all types of inappropriate possibilities.

Old 06-26-12, 08:31 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 6752%

Yes, I agree. I am big Glee fan, but sometimes it's really sad to see how much he counts these kids as his friends and has no real adult friends. And so unlike real life. Well, at least in my school experiences. I know things are different now. I dread having to help my kids navigate this mess when it is time.

Old 07-22-12, 02:49 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 4610%

I'm not sure this has anything to do with social media or TV shows. Maybe they made it more visible and sometimes easier to catch. I personally know two guys who had this kind of relationships with adult women during their early teens, but back then there was no FB , Twitter or texting so nobody got caught.

I think any adult, male or female, trying to have relations with a minor has deep running issues, and they fail to connect with other mature adults. And this predatory behaviour is never good for the kids that are involved.

Latest Articles
10 Things Pregnant Women Do Not Want to Discuss
Here are the top 10 pregnancy questions asked as well as discussions pregnant women don't want to have. Tell us! Are they accurate?

Baby Led Vs. Mommy Led Weaning
Sometimes babies decide when they would like to be weaned from breastfeeding, while others decide they would like to breastfeed forever and must be weaned by Mommy.

TTC Lingo: A Guide to Trying to Conceive Acronyms
Have you ever wondered what all the trying to conceive acronyms mean? Here are the most common acronyms used in online trying to conceive and fertility communities.

So Breech Babies Have To Be Delivered By Cesarean?
Researchers in one study discuss the dangers of delivering a baby in a breech presentation vaginally vs having a c-section.

Trouble Conceiving? You Might Have a Vitamin D Deficiency
One study is showing a connection between infertility in men and women who undergo IVF unsuccessfully are Vitamin D deficient.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations bexiboo85!

Calculators & Tools