Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe >
Mulch For Swing Sets?

Mulch For Swing Sets?

Reply Post New Topic

• Jillian Jillian's Avatar 04-12-07 | 06:58 PM
  • We are getting a Rainbow Playset for the girls this year and we are having a hard time deciding on the mulch to put in the "pit". My two are accident prone so I do want to dig a pit and put some type of mulch in it so my question for those of you with swing sets:
    Did you dig a pit (and how deep)?
    Did you put regular mulch or rubber mulch in it?
    What's the up keep with regular mulch every year?
    Did anyone use rubber and think it wasn't worth it?
    Any suggestions for us??
    Thanks so much!!
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 04-12-07 | 07:43 PM
  • Yes, if you want a really nice cusion, dig down at least 6 to 8 inches below the standard ground level.

Though rubber 'mulch' is a nice material for this, there are a few things that I don't like about it at all. #1, it's a petrolium product it tends to 'rub off' after repeated use(it says it's abrasion resistant which doesn't mean it doesn't break down... it just breaks down slowly but trust me.. you get 'rubber powder' after a couple years of use , and it turns bare (and sock) feet the color of the mulch
    (they have blue rubber mulch at the local children's museum and I HATE how the hands and feet turn blue )

Bark chips are excellent. If you get the large cedar chips, you have a bark that doesn't give splinters, provides pleanty of cusion, and is a natural bug repellant.
  • Tracey and Neil Tracey and Neil's Avatar 04-17-07 | 07:47 AM
  • I agree, bark is great for childrens play area's!! And when it starts to compost down after a couple of years of use you can just top it up with a little bit more, plus it smells gorgeous!!

Your children are going to love their playset!
  • susie susie's Avatar 05-16-07 | 06:32 PM
  • Did you get it yet Jill? Just wondering what you decided to use!
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 05-16-07 | 08:42 PM
  • For safety, you must have a minimum of 6 inches, but more is better.
    We have done this three times (3 homes) now and this is what we found holds true for us in northern NY --
    Pea stones are great for drainage and quick dry time after rain.
    Mulch can attrack ticks which is a huge problem with Lyme disease around here.
    The rubber mulch is $$$$$ -- about 4X regular mulch.
    Wood mulch breaks donw and needs to be added to yearly.

My suggestion would be a base of about 5 inches of pea stone and then adding about 3-4 inches of soft rubber or wood mulch above it.

I know that Skyqueen said the rubber mulch color rubs off, so does the color of some mulches, so you might consider a natural color.

Best Advice-- put down super thick tarps below the stone/mulch/rubber to prevent weeds from coming up so you don't have to spray chemicals to kill pop-ups.

Have fun!