Baby Corner

Old 11-30-10, 12:03 AM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default My neices 12yr birthday gift

Well amongst the holiday shopping and hussle and bussle,my neice had her 12 b-day on the 17th.She celebrated it that following Saturday.She is my ex sister-inlaws daughter,my ex husbands sister.
So Kira (my niece) is the only child and is spoiled a bit on her dads side of the family. I mean this girl raked in $120 cash plus $40 in gift cards and not to mention gifts.
From her mom and dad she got a Iphone!!! Yeah an Iphone!!!! I just about fell out of my chair.

So now my dd (16) wants a laptop and my ds wants an Ipod touch! My kids arn't as "spoiled" but heck....now there expectations have been greatly raised.
The funny part to me about this is my ex sister-in law gets my kids $20 and candy for there birthday! It in itself doesn't bother me just think its funny that she buys her daughter an iphone.

Still shocked that she got her an Iphone!

Old 11-30-10, 09:21 AM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 420%

Call my crazy but I don't think a 12 yr old needs an Iphone. LOL
My two little nieces (probably 8 & 10 yrs) both got Ipod touches for Christmas last year. I was shocked. Heck my 18 yr old just got an Ipod touch- and that was a graduation gift. But I think what happens is- when your kids get "everything" the parents keep moving up to bigger and better, trying to top the previous gift, KWIM? Whatever happened to age appropriate "toys"?
My 7 yr old wants an Ipod touch for Christmas. No way! She is far too young/not responsible enough. We got her a doll.

Old 11-30-10, 11:59 AM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 16620%

IA w/ Sheri 12 is too young for anything but the most basic cellphone(for emergencies). I like that Sheri went big for HS grad. My mom got me a car for a big birthday(17 I think) and a trip for Grad and I'd like to do that with my kid(s). That is when these kind of gifts should be given as a reward for a big acheivement or a very special birthday(16,18,or 21).

Tell your kids that you aren't their aunt and you believe big gifts are for big occasions(grads and weddings). Christmas and birthdays(except,maybe, milestone ones) are age appropriate and as you can afford. They are old to understand that, I bet.

Old 12-01-10, 01:16 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

My kids have both have Ipod Touch since last year and they play with the apps on them instead of using their DS's. The money I have saved on DS games has more than made up for the additional cost of the Touch. I wish I'd never bought the DS's. I suppose I should try to sell them.

Rachel has had a phone for about 1 1/2 yrs. I was against getting the phone but now she has it I'm glad she does. If Verizon (which we have) could have used the Iphone I would have seriously thought of getting her that instead of the phone she does because then she'd be able to combine the phone/touch and have one less electronic item to keep track of. Rachel's phone was $50 - Iphone is now $99 with a contract so its not much more.

Anyway, if a family can really afford to buy big $$ items, I don't see a problem with it. If they can't, they need to explain that to their kids and not let them be talked into it.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools