Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe Need some potty training encouragement

Need some potty training encouragement

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 10-30-09, 09:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 51.67%

Well--- you have to remember he WON'T go to college in diapers. I think that's the best encouragement I can give you. This too shall pass. I think that if you wait long enough, he'll be "ready" but be ready to wait till he's 4 or so if you try that method. If you're ok with that, then I say put him in a diaper and don't worry about it.

I had to force my 2 to get started. There was crying, there was screaming, there was DIAPIE ON DIAPIE ON being screamed. We are potty training Matthew right now. At first I had to force him to sit, and had to put him in underwear at first to show that peeing in the diaper is no more (now he does pull ups). After about 3 weeks, he's probably 75% pee trained but still refuses to poop on the potty. His third b-day is in January and I'm hoping we have him trained by then. I'm ok with it taking a long time--- lots of people aren't. They do the straight into underwear and lock yourself in the house for a week thing.

I think it all depends on your "style," not so much your kids style. If you're ok with him being in diapers and waiting for him to be totally "ready" then I would say-- don't sweat it!

Old 10-31-09, 01:53 AM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 10%

What do you do about preschool if your kid won't potty train in time? Marek will be almost 4 when he starts preschool next fall.

Old 10-31-09, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 51.67%

That's why I am training Matthew now and why it matters to me to spend all this time even with his resistance. He had issues in the past and I don't want him to spend 9 months out of preschool when he's been in EI all this time.

Since you're a SAHM and can come change him, you might be able to find a preschool that will take him in a pull up. Matthew is going to a preschool (not a daycare) and they said they'd "prefer" he was potty trained. I think all the kids are in his class.

People will throw rotten tomatoes, but if I were in your shoes, I'd resort to bribery. He knows what he needs to do and he's developmentally ready (since he was doing it before), although maybe not wanting to do it. A sticker chart, skittle, marble jar, junky toy, etc can go a long way.

Heck, we started with the potty in the middle of the living room floor and we let him watch his favorite show when he sat on that potty. All of a sudden he's decided he wants to be like his big brother so we've moved away from that. It's all about figuring out their "currency." It's not how I usually do business around here, but they are in total control of this.

I am just hoping in the next couple months we can get Matthew trained, or I could be writing your same post! I was always so awed by those people who had their kids all trained by age 2. My hat is totally off to them!

Old 10-31-09, 10:32 AM
Eric & Ty's Mommy

Thanked 113 Times
Weekly Activity 1.67%

we did a sticker chart for Eric and kept it in the bathroom next to the potty, Im sure you've tries all the 'tricks' maybe just put him in undies and if he has a few accidents he wont like it and will figure its time to go to the potty

edt to add: The preschool my boys went to and the one I work at will take kids that are not trained, the boys school would call if they needed to be changed (eric was 2.9 when he went and I think he had only one accident) mine we ask the parents to send in the supplies and if needed we will change them but in all honesty if they dont ask to be changed or go poop, we typically dont change them on a reg basis, we encourage all the kids to use the bathroom (we have a set time)

Last edited by TLBT; 10-31-09 at 10:35 AM.

Old 10-31-09, 02:50 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1176.67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolphia View Post
What do you do about preschool if your kid won't potty train in time? Marek will be almost 4 when he starts preschool next fall.
I was lucky the school mine went to went from 18 mo thru preschool so any kids not using the potty were in the toddler room. They mixed the rooms a lot so the older kids in there still got do to a lot of the stuff the older rooms did.

I agree with bribery if it works.

Latest Articles
Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

Headaches and Migraines in Pregnancy: What are Your Options?
If you suffer from migraine headaches, they be felt more often during pregnancy. However, there are things you can do during to feel better. Here are natural, and medical remedies that can help.

Fertility Rates In Career Women Are Rising
Fertility rates are rising for career women, as it is becoming less difficult to raise a family while working. Here are some facts and tips to help guide you along the way.

Pregnancy Loss: Don’t Suffer in Silence
Coping with a pregnancy loss is just as devastating as losing a loved one.

Should Pregnant Women Who Drink Alcohol Go to Jail?
The controversy over pregnant women drinking alcohol continues, but should they go to jail for it?

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools