Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe >
Our First Time Hosting/Cooking Thanksgiving!

Our First Time Hosting/Cooking Thanksgiving!

Reply Post New Topic

• 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 11-29-11 | 04:13 PM
  • It looks fantastic and now I'm hungry! What is under the turkey?

In my family, usually whoever is hosting makes the turkey and one side and everybody else brings something else.

A turkey hint: if you cook it with the breast down it comes out looking ugly but the white meat will be more juicy.
  • raabta01 raabta01's Avatar 11-30-11 | 03:02 PM
  • It's stuffing around the turkey. I brined it for 16 hours before cooking so it was pretty juicy, but thanks for the upside-down tip!
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 11-30-11 | 03:15 PM
  • Was the stuffing in the pan during the whole cooking time? Why didn't it get all greasy from the drippings?

I've always wanted to try brining (sp?) the turkey but I don't have any place to put a turkey soaking in liquid in the fridge.
  • raabta01 raabta01's Avatar 12-06-11 | 03:40 PM
  • The stuffing in the turkey was in there the whole time. The stuff in the pan was only added during the last hour. We basted the turkey every 15min or so, so as of the last hour there wasn't that much drippings to soak up, just enough!

As for the brining we had room in the fridge for the bagged turkey, somehow! My brother did suggest the next best option was to go to Lowe's and get a 10 gallon bucket and use that (after a good cleaning). Depending on where you live you may be able to leave it outside overnight or you could also put it in a wash tub and surround the bucket with ice.
  • 2babygirls 2babygirls's Avatar 12-06-11 | 04:05 PM
  • I'm going to try that with the stuffing in the pan.

Not cold enough here in Nov to leave anything out but it is now! :brrr: