Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Corner Cafe Rise of the 'mommyrexics': How super-skinny stars are inspiring a worrying new pregnancy trend

Rise of the 'mommyrexics': How super-skinny stars are inspiring a worrying new pregnancy trend

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 06-16-11, 02:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 37420%
Default Rise of the 'mommyrexics': How super-skinny stars are inspiring a worrying new pregnancy trend

You know Leslie gained very little during her last two pregnancies, but I can vouch that she ate a ton, and the Dr.'s kept saying they'd like to see here gain a little more but that there was no real problem.

I have noticed though that it seems with these celebrities the big cool thing is to be like, "I had my baby 3 weeks ago, and now I don't even look like I was ever pregnant".

Just thought you guys might find this article interesting and was wondering what your all's thoughts on it was?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...xic-trend.html

Old 06-17-11, 10:24 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

Hmm, well, it's about celebrities and while it must be nice to be able to have a nanny & a personal trainer (and the time) to allow your self to get back into shape and not look like you were even pregnant, it's not real life.

My new son is now a little over 2 weeks old and I am back down to approx 120 pounds just from having him & breastfeeding, but I still look like I am 3 months pregnant. And I don't see it going away anytime soon. I am on maternity leave & spend nost of it on the couch, breastfeeding, watching TLC & Lifetime Movie Network, and sleeping! It took me almost 2 years after my dd was born to get off my arse, join a gym, and lose about 7 lbs! So I started this 2nd pregnancy slightly smaller than I was with the 1st and only gained about 15 lbs during it due to gestational diabetes diet & chasing a toddler around. I was all belly this time and stayed fairly thin everywhere else. So while some of these celebrities might be able to attribute their slim frames to good genes and still be perfectly healthy, I don't see how they can spend adequate time bonding with the baby in weeks after birth if they are busy workin' on their fitness, ya know?

Old 06-20-11, 02:53 PM
Community Member

Thanked 108 Times
Level: 7
Weekly Activity 37420%

Well that was my main issue with all of this, how can you spend any quality time with your baby if all you're doing is working out.

I don't really read tabloid mags but I obviously see them in the checkout lines of stores and it seems like a pretty big deal to "recover" your body asap after birth if you're a celeb.

As a parent you should look at most things in life with the question, "Is this what' best for/how will this affect my child". Putting that much emphysis on losing pregnancy weight doesn't seem to have any benefit for the kid!

Old 06-20-11, 04:48 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 14120%

I lost all my pregnancy weight in a few weeks without trying. I'm guessing it was a combo of BFing and being too tired to eat!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools