Baby Corner

Old 09-22-11, 12:04 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%
Default Something about ADD/ADHD

I was talking to a 50ish man who says he is ADD or ADHD (he wasn't sure and I don't know the difference.) He said he keeps busy and usually works in overdrive until there is some sort of emergency situation. What that happens, its like his ADD runs in reverse...the world runs in slow-motion for him and he can see exactly what needs to be done and can do it.

I thought that was really interesting and may show some insight into ADD/ADHD. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I want to say, but maybe the ADD/ADHD is a malfunction of whatever it is that makes some people good in stressful or emergency situations. Does that make sense?

Old 09-22-11, 01:05 PM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 15.71%

ADD is almost a different beast than ADHD though the same meds seem to give both focus.

It sounds very similar to my son with his autism spectrum disorder. One part is stimming due to being overwhelmed/or underwhelmed and trying to "bring his engine up" and at other times he stims just because he is bursting with energy and that is his release.

You can also just have ADD or just ADHD and not have any fluctuations in personality. You are either up and everywhere all the time, or with ADD just lacking the ability to focus and self motivate at times.

Really interesting the whole idea of it though. It baffles me, all of it. I get it on paper, but in actuality it just puzzles me.

I've had experts of all kinds try to explain it to me and even they seem a bit confused as to the hows and whys. LOL!

Old 09-22-11, 02:53 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

What it reminded me of was something I learned in biology class...African people with the gene for sickle-cell disease are more resistant to malaria. What ever evolutionary process happened to help them resist malaria (which is common in Africa) backfired and also gave them sickle-cell.

Old 09-23-11, 10:50 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 15.71%

That's another good point and something to think about. Genetics and evolution just blow my mind.

So interesting but just when you think it makes sense something comes out of the blue to keep me confused.

Old 09-25-11, 07:01 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 30%

Very interesting Sharyn!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools