Baby Corner

Old 12-08-12, 11:50 AM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 2030.61%
Unhappy Traveling with baby?

Hey guys, have any of you traveled (a good distance) with a 9 month old?

I just received news that my biological dad is dying. He was recently was diagnosed with stage 2 cancer and it spread to stage 5 within a month. It has gotten so bad the dr's cannot give us a certain amount of "remaining time."

He's in Florida and I am in Tennessee. We are planning to make the trip this Wednesday and it is about an 11 hour drive.

We are driving and will have Molly with us, I'm not sure how she is going to handle the trip.

Anyone drove with a baby before and how did it go? I know probably bring lots of toys. Any other ideas?
Thank you.

Old 12-08-12, 01:31 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 678.37%

For an 11 hour drive plan on at least 4-5 15-30 minute stops and at least one meal stop for and hour. Change her diaper at each stop, of course and have lots of finger snacks. I would sit in the back with her to be able to judge her moods quickly and be easily accesible to her toys and food. If she likes tv at home a small portable dvd player might be a good investment as it may lull her to sleep.

Last edited by lauralkemp; 12-08-12 at 01:34 PM.

Old 12-08-12, 01:57 PM
is a stay at home Mommy<3
Community Member

Thanked 4 Times
Level: 8
Weekly Activity 2030.61%

I didn't even think about that [portable dvd player]. Good idea. Also didn't think about the multiple diaper changes during the trip, my mind is scattered right now. Or even sitting in back with her. So thank you for your reply or I would have gotten a rude awakening and plus the extra time included in the stops. Hopefully she will sleep alot during the trip. If it wasn't cor this news I wouldn't be taking her on any roadtrips any time soon.

Old 12-08-12, 02:00 PM
is the mommy of a 3 year old and expecting #2
Community Member

Thanked 437 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 678.37%

Yeah I would pretty much pack a whole box of diapers and wipes depending on how long you think you'll be. Believe me when you have a sick relative you don't want to be running to the store all the time for baby things.

Old 12-08-12, 05:03 PM
is lovin' my sweet girl!
Avery Claire's Mama!

Thanked 700 Times
Level: 2
Weekly Activity 98.78%

I agree about the dvd player... and snack foods... If it were us, we'd break the trip up into two days... 11 hours is a long time...
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools