Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Am I being a priss?

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 04-02-08 | 02:34 PM
  • This could go either here or "ask a question" but it has to do with me being stingy with my money... kind of!

We belong to a swim club. I've been a member for 4 years now. The first year, it's a lot of $, like 1000. (But being a teacher and having summers off, we are there nearly every day so it was worth the investment.) The place was clean, and virtually empty, actually. They have a baby pool, you could bring in food or buy there, etc.

In subsequent years, the dues were supposed to be something like $440. In the last 3 years, membership has gone down, due to snootier, more prestigious clubs in the area opening up. Last year, they charged everyone an additional assessment-- something like $136.00. Last year, the club wasn't in great shape. The concession stand was closed, the baby pool was not the crystal clean place it used to be. But, for what I used it for, it was ok.

So we were wondering if i was even going to open. Yesterday I get a bill for $559.00, AND a letter that says that they expect every member to volunteer 10 hours of time to do odd jobs around there (like painting fences, repairing things, etc) or donate supplies to repair things. I'm like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?" First of all, if I'm paying 550 for 3 months of use, this is exactly why i don't have a pool at home, so I don't have to maintain it!! Second of all, do I want to be a member of a swim club where Joe Schmoe fixed the pool filter, rather than a professional?

Then, I thought-- maybe I'm jsut being prissy!!!

What do you think?
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 04-02-08 | 02:39 PM

•  
    WHAT?? There's no way I'd do it.

We're planning to get a pass to our local community pool. It has a great kiddo area, sandbox area, lounging place for moms, we can take our own food, and it's very, very clean. The cost for our whole family for the summer will be $130.

Maybe you should try something like that. If you were to invest that $550, imagine how much that could be by the time Joshua goes to college!!

• 3Princes 04-02-08 | 02:42 PM
  • There is absolutely nothing like that here. Nothing. Unfortunately, people are very prissy here-- (no reason to be-- I totally live in the "rust belt") and the community pools have been given up on. It's all swim clubs. I need the adult interaction and to get out of the house.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 04-02-08 | 02:49 PM
  • You don't have a city pool? What about a community rec center? In just about every respectable down on "this side" of Ohio, you'll find a decent community pool or rec center and the membership fees are really reasonable.

That's strange that it would be so different in the same state.
  • CarolleZ CarolleZ's Avatar 04-02-08 | 02:49 PM
  • I wouldn't be doing any of those extra things!! You pay $$ to go there, and some of that money should go toward things like painting fences and other misc maintenance!