Baby Corner

Old 08-19-08, 07:04 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 44.29%

Yeah... I tried selling a car myself once and it was a HUGE PITA and I wound up getting the exact amount the dealer had offered me.
I actually think we're going to keep the car. DH just got it a little over a year ago and got a good deal on it. I'm thinking if I'm pg-- there's no way 3 car seats will fit across the back seat. I'm thinking we're just going to have to swap cars in the middle of the day.

Old 08-19-08, 09:19 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

I can only tell you what we would do:

If we were thinking about possibly keeping it for a while, we'd put a FOR SALE sign on it now and list it on Craigslist/Cheapcycle, etc. When it sells, we'd use that money to buy a vehicle for THAT PRICE. We once talked a dealer down from $17,900 to $14,000 because we said we'd walk away otherwise. When they wouldn't cave on the price, we stood up with every intention to leave--and they bit. We got the car for only that much.

Also, here's something to think about with a paid-for car: When we were expecting Sam, before he died, we had a (paid-off) Taurus and, like you, knew we couldn't fit three car seats comfortably in the back of the Taurus so we listed our car on Craigslist and I started scouting vans for a simliar price. We found a man looking for our exact car while we were looking for his exact van and both, according to KBB, were of equal value. We met in some podunk bar in the middle of Nowhere, IN and test drove the cars, traded titles, and drove away. NO money exchanged hands and because we paid nothing for the car, we also paid no taxes either!

So we always say we got a "free" van on Craigslist.

I tell you that to reiterate the benefit of having a paid-off car.

Old 08-19-08, 10:08 PM
is Living a new type of life
Spring is in the Air

Thanked 523 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Just as an FYI if you look on kelly blue book and get an amount of what your vehicle is worth ie:trade in vs.private party,the dealer isn't going to go by that.It supply and demand.They use kelly blue book as a guide.Say you owe 3,500 left on your car and your car blue books trade in at 3,300 but the dealer can buy the same car at dealer auction for 2,700 he isn't going to give you more then 2,200.Just keep that in mind also.I have a truck that I wanted to trade in,great condition only a 6cyl good on gas.My truck blue booked at 11,500 trade in.The market for the truck is about the same,meaning on the street.I owe right around that amount also.The walked up and told me they would give me 5,000 because they can go to auction and get one with less miles (note mine has 62,000) for about 3,500.So the supply and demand and all the problems with the economy come into play with this .Me I would pay off the car or sell it and walk in the dealer with cash.That usually gets there attention.I can't stress enough! Pay attention to the dealers numbers like skyqueen said they will make it sound good.
Good Luck!

Old 08-19-08, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

Yeah--- I am a haggler anyway. DH actually likes watching me do it-- THAT's what gets Ward Cleaver going.
But the KBB has never been what they've offered us. His car is good for what he uses it for-- driving back and forth to work, 35 miles each way, every day. It's a stick, plus gets great mileage.

If I'm not pg, it won't matter because his car will be fine. We'll pay it off and be done with it. If I am, then we'll have to figure something out.

Thanks ladies.

Old 08-20-08, 01:08 AM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

actually KBB isn't a very good price expectancy anymore.
More accurate, are the prices to expect on

so compare the 2 prices, and be realistic. I threaten to sell it on my own, knowing full well that it's a PITA, and would rather just let them buy it from me if they give me a fab price on my new car to offset what I want.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools