Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Welcome! Register today! | Login
Forums > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters >
is anyone not cutting down on christmas spending?

is anyone not cutting down on christmas spending?

Reply Post New Topic

• Susan Susan's Avatar 11-22-08 | 06:53 PM
  • the truth is every year we only pay cash for our christmas purchases...we have a budget for everyone except the kids and we almost always stick to it. We don't do extravagant gifts ...ever!
    we don't buy new tv's, electronics, etc for the holidays ( or any other time for that matter) so there really is no cutting back this year.

Since we don't spend that much to begin with..I don't see how we can cut back

We do spend more on my parents and DH's mom but everyone else gets basic gifts ( books, dvd's, GC's).

anyway...i hear about a lot of people cutting back but I have been spending what I do every year so far.
  • brandimichelle brandimichelle's Avatar 11-22-08 | 07:06 PM
  • we aren't cutting back... we usually buy my parents, mike's parents, the siblings, etc a nice gift... and this year we have avery to buy for of course, but we really aren't cutting back.... we just bought two big screen tv's so we plan to not buy a ton for each other...
  • Laurie Laurie's Avatar 11-22-08 | 07:30 PM
  • No and yes. No, I am not worrying about cost too much...but my kids have WAY too many toys, so I am cutting back so they won't become spoiled rotten.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 11-22-08 | 11:10 PM
  • This is the first year we're actually spending MORE at Christmas. We've been getting out of debt for so long that it's nice to have some extra cash to spend. We framed a large cross-stitched art piece (stitched by my grandmother) for Andy's mother. I went during the 50% sale and STILL spent $150 just for the frame and glass!

We're splitting the cost of an iPod with my sister to give to my father. We'll spend about the same on everyone else as we've always spent but we might up the limit we usually spend on each other. We have always had a $20 limit.

So we are actually upping our spending this year.
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 11-22-08 | 11:21 PM
  • Not really. I am like Laurie though with the kids having way too much stuff already. I'm only purchasing things I really think will be used instead of just having a huge pile of presents for them to open. So it will be less for them to open but hopefully all more useful things that will be taken care of and used for years.

As for family

still spending the same but it's not extravagant stuff about a $25 limit per person other than dh's parents who we'll spend about $100 or more on.

Not that I want to spend that on them but it's his parents so I keep my mouth shut.