Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Being financially responsible is no fun!

Being financially responsible is no fun!

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 03-05-09, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 620%
Default Being financially responsible is no fun!

Well... we've made the decision not to build the new master bedroom as a part of our remodel. It's the right decision, but I want that bedroom so bad!

We're going to do the kitchen, which involves taking out a wall, relocating a door and resurfacing the deck out back. We're also going to relocate the laundry room from the basement to the upstairs, since the walls will be "open" to put the waterlines, etc upstairs. We're going to pay cash for 75% of the remodel. For the rest, we'll take out a small home equity loan, which we plan to pay off in a few years. Then, when the time is right, we can do the big master bedroom addition.

It's not what I wanted originally, but it's going to be beautiful. I want to be able to enjoy it, and I know this way I won't be feeling guilty for getting nice countertops or a nice stove, etc.

Old 03-06-09, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 63 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

Well it sounds like the new plan is going to be quite functional. I like the idea of moving the laundry room from the basement upstairs. I'm sure in the end it will be worth it. While this is being done keep making your plans for the master bedroom, the years will pass quicker than you think.

Old 03-06-09, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

Thanks. The moving of the laundry room has been part of the plan all along... but that almost splits the whole project in half and the extra bedroom won't be so overwhelming.

I'm getting excited.

Old 03-06-09, 01:25 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

being responsible really *Is* no fun!

but it'll definately help you sleep at night.

This way, you can have portions of your house that aren't under construction that you can retreat too better.
When we did our kitchen, Sarah was learning to crawl and starting table foods and I swear it was torture for me to have our kitchen out of operation for all that time! She wanted in there to play so badly and of course that just can't happen

We had to set up a little camping kitchen outside in the backyard and I did an awful lot of cooking in the microwave (plugged into the living room).
Washing the dishes... that was a whole 'nuther ball of wax!

I'm sure you'll get all into this kitchen remodel and forget all about the bedroom that you didn't get to do.

Old 03-06-09, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

It really does stink being responsible sometimes doesn't it?

Our Kitchen Island is a small portable one that the contractor put in when we bought the house. It matches the cabinets and has a butcher block top on it, but it is falling apart. So DH wants to get something new, but I feel like we should wait until it really does come apart before doing anything. I want new countertops and I know we'll want new appliances and if we replace the island we'll end up working around that and I'd rather do it all at once. My real goal is to have someone come in and tell us if there is anyway we can do our kitchen design better. I would like an island that we can sit at and eat instead of the table we have.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools