Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Bummer...

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 02-12-08 | 01:45 PM
  • Well, after really talking it over and thinking about it, we're not going to put our house on the market right now. I'm really ok with it-- I know it's the right thing to do, but I'm just a teensy weensy bit disappointed we aren't going to be getting a new house right now.

After discussing it, we realized we would have to put pretty much all the money we have into the downpayment for the new house. We'd have virtually no savings other than what we are putting aside to start the kids' college funds, and our mortgage would still be a couple hundred more than it is now. Right now, we were able to put a good amount down on this house and we have a super-reasonable house payment. We have just now recovered from my maternity leaves (2 in 21 months).

Sooo.... after a lot of hard thought, we've decided to hang out here for a couple more years. This way, we can put the money in CDs, let it grow some, figure out if we really *are* done with kids, or have another one and have a very manageable payment, and put some more money in the pot.

Sensible.... but still a tiny bummer.
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 02-12-08 | 02:18 PM
  • it is very sensible - and responsible

And those are the decisions that will make you happy in the long run. In the mean time, you can dream of the houses you'll have to choose from in a couple years.

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 02-12-08 | 02:59 PM
  • Yeah, that decision sucks. We were in that position a couple of years ago and I was WAYbummed.

But then we rode it out and now we have our dream house.

Hang in there. After the market picks up and you're able to get more for your house, you'll be able to afford that house of your dreams!

• 3Princes 02-12-08 | 05:42 PM
  • Yeah! Being responsible is SO not as fun as doing what you want!

But at least we have the house 99% market ready. We have a couple other things we might consider doing in the next couple years which aren't huge budget busters and will only add to our house's value-- like fencing the backyard, etc.

It makes more sense too to *know* how many kids we're going to have. This way, if we're done we dont' need a 4BR unless there's no other space for an office area.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 02-12-08 | 06:09 PM
  • Good plan!

Don't you HATE being mature?? It was so much more fun to be free-spirited and loose with the money. (Of course in our case, it was money we didn't have and now we're paying the price

).