Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Buyers remorse....7 year after purchase

Buyers remorse....7 year after purchase

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-28-10, 04:39 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%
Default Buyers remorse....7 year after purchase

I definitely have buyers remorse on our house, even though we bought it in 2004, a little over a year after we got married.

Now that I make more money ,have a child, and really know the neighborhood better, I wish we would have waited. I don't know why we felt the need to buy then so badly. I mean, yes, we had been living together for about 3.5 years, living with parents and then renting apartments. Dh refused to look at condos or townhomes b/c he wanted his own parking space and was tired of loud neighbor's and paper-thin walls. But now.....I wish I could have talked Dh into a condo back then, at least I'd feel like we had a better chance of renting that out while we moved on to something bigger.

I am constanly on realtor.com looking at house in areas I would like to move to, with better schools, at great prices due to the crummy economy.....basically torturing myself b/c I know we can't sell our house b/c of that same crummy economy. So we now we are stuck....for who knows how long. We need a new roof, a back patio would be nice, and a yard that isn't full of ants and sand! But we can't truly afford another loan, not the one we asked the bank about awhile back anyways with $300.00 a month payments. There are other "wants" on our house-list but we've survived without them this long, so they not really "needs." And of course, more space would be nice; my house has been taken over by dd's toys & now we are going to have to make room for more as she gets older (and Christmas is just around the corner!) & a new baby on the way.

I just really worry sometimes how we are all going to fit into this house and if we are still living here when dd starts kindergarten......right now I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone else regret their house-buying decision?

Old 09-28-10, 04:52 PM
is A blessed Wife and Mommy
Loving our babies!!

Thanked 795 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%

DH had bought our house before I met him, and I don't think he regrets it at all...but we are in a similar situation you are. Our neighborhood is going downhill because with the cheap housing prices alot of "questionable" people (who don't take care of their yards or their houses) have moved into the neighborhood. That, accomplanied with some of the hoodlum kids we see running around make us also wonder about the schools. don't get me wrong, there are still some great families and kids that live there too- and it is completely safe. However, looking down the line at a good education for our daughter- if we stay where we are we might want to home school her. Before DH got laid off- we were actually looking to buy a new house, but we were pregnant with Hope and knew that my maternity leave would take a big chunk out of our savings- that and we knew we wanted another baby and would need to be saving for that maternity leave as well. So- we decided not to buy anything else and of course right now we are upside down on our house. Our house is small too- around 1300 sq. feet 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms- we barely fit with all of DD's stuff and our pets. We are happy there though- and other than thinking about schools- don't really want to leave. Could you perhaps RENT the house you are in and then go rent something in a nicer area that has more space? I have thought about doing this as well.

Old 09-28-10, 05:16 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

We thought about it and discussed it, but we don't want to deal with the hassle of finding good tenants, keeping up with them & the property, and honestly I don't know if anyone would pay the amount of rent we would need to cover the mortgage, insurance, and taxes. I've tried asking family members I know who would need a place and have been turned down, lol! I think they have heard me complain too much about it, hahaha!

I think me & Dh need to do some SERIOUS purging and try to sell some stuff to get extra money to pay off some bills, present & future!

I told Dh my New Year resolution for 2010 was to be happy with what I have & make it work....but it is proving difficult!

Last edited by MrsS1stbaby; 09-28-10 at 05:19 PM.

Old 09-28-10, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 620%

I don't have buyers remorse, but I have "remodelers remorse" to a certain degree.

Everything is in God's time, and having my m/c followed by the best surprise of all time (Brady) taught me that.

The only flipside of it was that I decided I was totally through with the fertility treatments, so we remodeled our kitchen with EVERYTHING we wanted. I wouldn't call it top of the line, but it's definitely more expensive than if we had known we were going to possibly want to move. I said about 100 times to dh during the remodel WE ARE NEVER, EVER MOVING!!!!

Then, in the middle of the remodel while we were living at my mothers

I got myself knocked up!

All the choices had been made at that point.

Bringing Brady home from the hospital, we suddenly seemed like we were bursting out of the house! And... we have purged a lot of the unnecessary baby paraphinalia too. It's just too small here now!

So there's my "remorse" story.

Old 09-29-10, 10:13 AM
is enjoying life!
Another Perfect Day

Thanked 1,422 Times
Weekly Activity 1620%

One thing I've heard is that starter homes are about the only thing that is selling and it sounds like you are in one. So why don't you talk to a realtor and see what they say? People who would never have been able to afford a starter home now can because of the economy. Not to mention people with lots of money are buying up these homes to have rental property and for future investment.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools