Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Christmas question...

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 10-20-07 | 09:46 AM
  • So how do you keep from going over budget at the holidays? I mean, with myself, dh, and the boys (which should be the hardest) it's easy. They're totally fine with just a few presents and a lot of other people buy them stuff. DH and I take a weekend trip with the kids as our Christmas gift to eachother and the family. But what gets tricky is like with people who we have always exchanged gifts with. They always buy us something nice and I don't want to "cheap out" because they are special people to us.

I already know I'm not doing secret santa at work, so that's one less thing to pay for.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 10-20-07 | 11:48 AM
  • You just have to budget in what you will be spending on special people. My family is big about doing homemade gifts amoung the adults...cookies, candy, and such. One brother raises cattle and sometimes gives us fresh meat. All of my sister in laws sew , so they sometimes amke things for people.
    I like doing little gift baskets with wine and cheese...some wineglasses and candles. It's really not that expensive to do.
  • skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 10-20-07 | 02:07 PM
  • I tend to go for the handmade items that you can't put a pricetag on. For those friends - a gift from the heart always wins over a gift from a store.
  • Sheri Sheri's Avatar 10-20-07 | 03:56 PM
  • We don't buy for the adults- just the kids, so that helps a little. And I'm doing one gift per mom and dad together, on both sides, this year too. We usually start really early in the year buying gifts but this year we didn't so I hope it doesn't "hurt" too much when XMas finally rolls around!!

• Oreo Oreo's Avatar 10-20-07 | 09:52 PM
  • My trick is to save up during the year.

EX-- I got something from Talbots that didn't fit and got a gift card instead of a refund. So, now I have the gift card to buy my MIL something with.
    I'll use a gift card from a student and give it SIL for a restaurant I know she loves. It's regifting, but she will love it and it saves me $$$. so I don't think it's a bad thing since the student will never know.
    I am also using some bank card "points" to get FIL a gift, so that will be nearly free.

This year I am telling my sis, not to buy for me or DH and we'll just do something small for her.