Baby Corner

Old 05-06-07, 03:17 PM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Cost of a New Baby

We are having our first child in November. How much should we have saved up before our blessing arives. Also, how much does it cost to but all the necessary furniture.

Old 05-06-07, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I don't know an exact number, but I'll say have much saved up as you can. Even if you plan to breastfeed for awhile, you'll still end up spending lots of money on diapers and all the other basic necessites. And boy oh boy do those charges add up in a hurry. If you shop wisely you can save loads of money simply by buying furniture, clothes, diapers, etc with coupons or when they're on sale. You can also check your area for any local maternity/children consignment shops where you can usually find some great bargains on good condition baby gear. Also, just because they make it for babies does NOT mean you need it. Try to avoid purchasing too many things that you know aren't absolutely necessary. You can always go back and buy them later on if you decide you really do want or need them, but often times in the excitement of preparing for baby we go way overboard and buy everything under the sun.

Good luck, Congrats, and Welcome to TBC btw!

Last edited by the_littleminx; 05-06-07 at 05:11 PM.

Old 05-06-07, 05:28 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

every penny you have!

the cost of a child varys so greatly! It depends on so many things.
Do you have hand-me-downs? (both clothes and furniture? )
for instance, my sister is borrowing my crib so she doesn't have to buy a crib. That saves $300 right there.

Do you already have an extra dresser? Can you get away without using a changing table? (many people find that they can do without the change table)

Will you be nursing? Breastfeeding dramatically cuts the cost of a baby. That's at least $20 a week you'll be saving (probably more) simply by nursing instead of using bottles.

What kind of diapers will you be using? Cloth diapers cost more upfront, but end up usually being a more economically sound investment than the disposable ones (that clog up the landfills).

So many things that make the costs of a child differ from home to home. Will you be using babysitters? Do you plan on going out alot? Will you need to have a daycare arranged for when you go back to work?
So many factors.

But the answer to your question is.... every penny you have.

Old 05-06-07, 06:51 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I agree with the others...there is just so many little things that add up. I found that I can get by on little to no new furniture. i lived in an RV the first year of my first ones life, so I never used teh furniture I bought for her and so I am not bothering this time. It's imortant to get good pieces. I am getting a pack and play that has a bassinett and changing table built into it. We co sleep so we aren't going to need a crib, but that is a consideration too. Also when you do buy second hand you have to be careful of things that have recalled or are outdated as far saftey is concerned. For instance they don't recommend that you reuse a car seat that is more than 2 years old.
Clothing can be a really big expense, but there is so much baby stuff out there at garage sales, good wills and consignment shops and they grow out of them so quickly it doesn't make much sense to buy much of it new.
Ebay is also a good place to look for baby stuff. You have be careful on their, but I have gotten tons of great deals on there on basically brand new items that people buy and then don't ever use.

Old 05-06-07, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Location: Originally from PA. Now live in OK. Did, however, spend 5 yrs in HK.
Thanked 129 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

I've heard no more than 5 years on the car seats.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools