Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Is the credit crunch affecting you?

Is the credit crunch affecting you?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 04-14-09, 06:30 AM
Community Member

Thanked 0 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default Is the credit crunch affecting you?

Hi there,

Was reading an article in the paper the other day about how the dreaded credit crunch is meaning lots of people are choosing to not have another child or even one at all - are people genuinely finding this the case?

I've found that while we might have been a little more frugal with our money we're still spending and if we wanted another child (which we don't....yet) we wouldn't think twice about it. It's all about the tricks of the trade in parenting finances!

Last edited by Dopey406; 04-14-09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Edited out name of competitor site

Old 04-14-09, 10:23 AM
is proud of her kids.
.....is rewarded!

Thanked 906 Times
Weekly Activity 220%

Our credit score has dropped even though we actually paid off 4 credit cards. Apparently once they were paid in full they didn't want our business any longer and closed the accounts. The accounts closing all at once caused our credit score to drop a good deal. I am pretty frustrated with the whole thing. Thankfully we won't be needing a mortgage/loan for a good while.

I was just angry that paying them off was what triggered the drop. Grrr! Three of the cards we have had since college (when we had no income but they gave us credit anyways) and now that we have income and the responsibility to HAVE credit it has been closed.

Old 04-15-09, 11:19 AM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

We had the same thing happen Patience, but like you said, we aren't planning on needing any new credit anytime in the near future, so we aren't terribly worried about it. I did have one card triple my limit when I paid it off though.

Basically since we were already working on cutting down the debt before the economy tanked, it really hasn't hit us too hard. Dh is a little more nervous about having another baby, but it ultimatly isn't going to be a deciding factor in that decision. We have other pro's and con's that we are weighing.

Old 04-19-09, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 63 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

This must be a trend, they did this to my mom recently, and I wondered if her credit would drop. Apparently she hadn't used it in 3 years...sucks but they can do what they want.

Old 04-19-09, 10:26 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 1220%

Because we were already on our way to having almost all our debt paid off and on a budget the economy didn't weigh in on our decision to have another baby at all.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools