Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

dependents

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 03-31-08 | 03:27 PM
  • What do you have for number of dependents on your tax form? DH and i were both single when we started our jobs so we both claimed 0. Now that we have 2 kids, we both have it set at 0, but we got a LOT back this year. It's great, but I wonder if one of us should claim at least 1 now.
  • savannah33 savannah33's Avatar 03-31-08 | 03:37 PM
  • We both claim married and 3. We don't want a lot back from state and we have write offs for federal that end up giving us a good bit back anyway.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 03-31-08 | 04:55 PM
  • We file jointly and claim each of the girls.

But on Andy's tax form at work, he claims 10 or so exemptions so we don't get lots back at tax time--it puts more money in our pockets throughout the year.

• 3Princes 03-31-08 | 06:23 PM
  • I was referring to when you go to set up your pay at work, not your tax return. We file however is going to get us the most money back.
    I've heard of people doing that --- claiming a lot of exemptions/dependents.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 03-31-08 | 07:36 PM
  • We claim a lot because we want more money throughout the year. By having only a few exemptions, you're basically giving the government an interest-free loan throughout the year. So we have 10 exemptions on DH's tax form so we can come close to "breaking even" on the taxes. This year, with both mortgages and stuff, we ended up getting about $1800 back still but that should even out a little more now that we just have one mortgage.