Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Do you have a Will?

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-03-07 | 10:58 AM
  • Since it was brought up in the 2007 Goals thread, let's talk about Wills.
    [LIST]Do you have a Will?[/LIST][LIST]If yes, have you discussed it with family or would something be a surprise in the event it needed to be utilized?[/LIST][LIST][*]If no, do you plan to make one?[/LIST][LIST][*]What has kept you from making one up to now? Financial issues? Family issues? Fear issues?[/LIST]
    Let's talk about Wills.

Questions, comments, experiences, everything!

Last edited by Dopey406; 01-03-07 at 11:02 AM..
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-03-07 | 11:02 AM
  • We made our Will shortly after Charlotte was born, after talking about it for many months. They are HARD decisions to make so we considered our options carefully. (And we were a little bit lazy about it, too.

)

A couple we know quite well are both attorneys and the husband of the pair used to do estate planning, so we asked him for suggestions and he offered to do the Will for us for FREE!!

So he told us what kind of info we needed to gather and how to approach each decision. With that information, we asked each person who we wanted in our Will if he/she would be willing to take on that responsbility and were pleased when each said yes!

I was amazed at how easy it was after that. It was basically sign the papers. We made several copies and placed them with different family members.

It felt great to have that done.
  • tammiane tammiane's Avatar 01-03-07 | 12:43 PM
  • Do you have a Will? No

If yes, have you discussed it with family or would something be a surprise in the event it needed to be utilized?

If no, do you plan to make one? We've started discussing it

What has kept you from making one up to now? Financial issues? Family issues? Fear issues? Honestly, I think more fear on my part. Like if I make a will its tempting fate, and I know thats ridiculous but its how I've felt. I know that I need to get over that and plan for my children so dh and I have started talking about it.
  • ~Kelli~ ~Kelli~'s Avatar 01-03-07 | 01:36 PM
  • YES, YES, YES!

You have to have a WILL!!!!!

DH's father passed away in may, with nothing in writing-- and the burden it left on us to deal with was unbearable-- in the event of an accident the last thing you want your family to deal with is administration of financial situations or making decisions that are life altering when they instead should be dealing with their grief...

Sad I know-- but important.

We have a will-- and like you Deanna, once we got the verbal committment on the 'big' decisions, the rest was easy. We paid somewhere around $300 for everything..... we needed to decide who was to care for the children in the event that we both passed, where our realestate would go, who would execute the will-- and what we would leave to family members, etc--

nothing would be a surprise to everyone

• Janine Janine's Avatar 01-08-07 | 03:48 PM
  • I don't have one rigth now....I started to write one a few years ago and then got divorced, so that nullified the whole thing! Dh and I have discussed it a lot. I need to update my life insurance and add a new policy for him now that we are married. We will probably do a will together when we do that.