Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

eiy-yiy-yiy!

Reply Post New Topic

• 3Princes 10-16-07 | 09:59 PM
  • My maternity leave and DH's movement to day shift has wreaked havoc on our finances! We really sat down this weekend and looked at everything and where we can make sacrifices.

So far we....

cancelled the orkin man (savings of $80 every 2 months)

called and checked on removing the long distance on our landline phone or consolidating with our cable (and the cable thing is actually going to wind up saving us $20/month) We only need the landline because of our alarm system.

put a bunch of things for sale on amazon, in the newspaper, etc, and I already made $125!

I also have decided I'm going to ask my mom to pay for the boys swimming class as their Christmas present (she's disabled so Christmas usually involves me running around buying the boy's presents, wrapping them myself, and then opening them myself since the kids are still kinda young). Swim class is actually only $25/kid but it sounds like such a big present.

I plan on paying cash for all our holiday gifts this year, and taking advantage of the fact that the kids are still so little they won't mind.

It's not a lot, but it's a good start.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 10-17-07 | 10:41 AM

•  
    Sounds good so far! Christmas is when it is most tempting to go deeper into debt! We've had to break out the cards to make up the difference because of my maternity leave, but we will only do it for gas and food.
  • Oreo Oreo's Avatar 10-19-07 | 12:05 PM
  • I hope the shifts work for you. We are doing some selling and such this month. We may make some big shifts as well to get things balanced better.
    good luck --

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 10-19-07 | 11:32 PM
  • I really DO think that the shift change will change your FAMILY LIFE if you can get over the hump of the financial adjustment.

It sounds like you're really going at it, though, and you are to be commended for that.

Another GREAT resource is Craigslist. You can list things for free there and it's all done locally, in cash, so you don't have to pay shipping/listing/closing fees for any of it.

Keep up the good work and I think VERY SOON you'll find yourself feeling grateful for that shift change!

• skyqueen skyqueen's Avatar 10-20-07 | 01:22 AM
  • yup- try out craigslist (they might not be big in your area, though but it's fantastic in mine)

I just KNOW that the change will be very good for the family life. Making the finance adjustments will be a bummer at first, but you'll definately benefit from the changes in other ways soon.

for getting it all together so quickly too.