Skip to main content
Baby Corner logo

Gas and electric bills

Reply Post New Topic

• Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-08-07 | 01:50 PM
  • We got our first "big" gas bill of the year and it ws $99. It said that our average CCF usage is 41 (this bill was 83). So theoretically, if we went on level billing, we'd owe about $50/month, right?

DH says that he likes the "break" from the gas bill in the summer (our gas bills are often only $10-$15 during the summer). So I can't blame him.

Do you have level billing? Do you ever OWE money at the end of the billing cycle? Do you like level billing? What are your gas and electric bills like this time of year?
  • the_littleminx the_littleminx's Avatar 01-08-07 | 02:01 PM
  • We're on the averaging plan for our gas because our house is old and our gas bills can get really high during a normal winter. Before the averaging plan it was not uncommon for us to have $400/mo gas bills during the winter.

I'm not honestly sure what it works out to now a month, because I don't do the bills, but I know it's significantly cheaper and worth it to us to pay a little more in the Summer, and not so dang much each month during the Winter.
  • Natascha Natascha's Avatar 01-08-07 | 02:12 PM
  • I'm going to be ignorant, and ask what level billing is?

Our highest gas bill this winter has been $190.
  • Janine Janine's Avatar 01-08-07 | 03:39 PM
  • We looked into it, but th ecost of gas and electric have changed significantly several times in the last few years, and we were told it wasn't such a great idea to get locked into a price right now.Our gas and electric tend to balance each other out. In the summer our gas bill can be as low as $10-15 dollars when our electric can run around $250. In the winter, elctric runs around $40 and gas is $150-200.
  • Dopey406 Dopey406's Avatar 01-08-07 | 03:46 PM
  • Level billing is a process by which the utility company averages out your usage throughout the year and then divides that total by 12. That's the amount you pay each month.

For instance, our average usage (CCF) is 41 units/month. So at the rate we have now, that's about $50/month. So if we went on level billing, we'd pay $50 each month for the next year. Then at the end of 12 months, they do a cross-check with your actual meeter readings and you either get money back (meaning you paid for more than you used) or you owe the company money (meaning you used more than that for which you paid).