Baby Corner

Old 06-14-09, 08:41 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Has anyone...

ever had to do a personal injury lawsuit before? For those who don't know, I broke my ankle while on vacation last August. The resort has been very rude and they "self insure" so the only way we ar egoing to get any compensation is to sue. We have our first appointment with the lawyer on Friday.
I'm just wondering what to expect. Since they self insure, I am feeling confident that we will get something and they will probably settle out of court since if they had insurance, it would have already picked up my medical bills without a problem.
I guess I am really wonderign how much we should ask in pain and suffering. I still walk with a limp, and have some permanent nerve damage. I'll also eventually have to have a second surgery and more physical therapy. It has been very life altering for me. I don't want to be one of those crazy people who sues for millions, but I don't want to sell myself short either. Whatever we get is going to go to debt reduction so that I can quit working. Any expereince?

Old 06-14-09, 09:00 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 4.9%

I'm sure there is some math formula/calculation about loss of income, permanent damage, time wasted in therapy, pain & suffering that gets computed and added to your medical bills.

I'd start at 4X or more what you would settle for since they will want to bargain you down.

Old 06-14-09, 09:15 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3513.06%

It sucks that you're still suffering the effects of the fall.

I don't have any experience but a friend of mine is an attorney who works on social security/disability/personal injury cases. I will pick her brain about it when we talk this week.

Sorry you're having to go this route.

Old 06-15-09, 01:18 AM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

Yeah. I really debated about doing it. Insurance picked up a lot of it,thank God! But it really burns me up about the way that the resort has treated us. I have to have homewoners insurance to cover even accidents that happen at my home and they should be required to do the same. If they choose to self insure, they should be more willing to work with people to settle without having to go this route. They told us from the very first phone conversation that they were not even going to let us see thier accident report unless we had a lawyer request it.

Old 06-15-09, 12:27 PM
OMG! I have 3 kids!

Thanked 444 Times
Weekly Activity 4.9%

i dont have any advice, but i hope you get better soon.

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools