Baby Corner

Old 03-10-09, 05:07 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%
Question Hmmm

Dh and I have two vehicles. We have one that is paid for and is getting very old that we are letting BIL use right now until he has enough money to get a different car (his broke down and was not worth fixing.) We HARDLY use the car, dh sometimes takes it to work and that's about it.
Our other vehicle is a van we bought last summer. We have 5 years of payments on it total (so we've made I think 9 payments now), $290/month. We LOVE the van, but it's kind of getting the better of us in the way of payments (this combined with our house payment and other regular monthly bills.)

I know Dave Ramsey would say sell the van and get something inour price range, but I was almost thinking we should sell the car that we hardly use (after BIL is able to get himself a vehicle, which should be fairly soon), and use that money to pay off some other debt so we can put the payments to the house and van.

The bad part of it is, it's a 1994 Sunbird, so I'm sure we wouldn't get much for it! We have one credit card, the van, the house and regul;ar bills that we make payments on, and then one school payment. We don't make payments on the school one (it's FROM school, not a student loan, and there's NO interest) I *think* we have not quite $2000 to pay for school, the credit card I think has about $8000, then the van and house payments. My question is, *IF* I can talk dh into selling the car, how much should we attempt to sell it for (it runs fine, most of the underside parts have been replaced recently, it's a bit rusty but nothing awful, and it gets GREAT gas mileage!), and then what should we put the money towards?

Old 03-10-09, 05:31 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

You're right that Dave would say to sell the van.

But if you're going to sell the 1994 one, look on KBB.com for the fair market value and expect a bit less that.

Old 03-10-09, 05:37 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

have you looked at both kelly blue book's website and
Edmunds?

Edmunds is more accurate, but it's good to know what Kelly blue book's number is too.

punch in your numbers there. That's the best answer for what you should sell it at.

also, while that car may be paid off,,, insurance still costs you. And if you're not really using it, you're paying for insurance that you really just don't need to pay for. kwim?
(and your brother needs to step up with the bills, I swear!! )
Thank you skyqueen!
koala_kaper (03-12-09)

Old 03-10-09, 11:59 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

He's my bil, and actually he pays half the cable and half the energy bills now

I will talk to dh about what kind of ins we have, but I think we have pretty minimal ins on the car (he takes care of all of it, but I'll talk to him to make sure)

I talked to him earlier tonight and he said he's really against selling the car. He says I need to have the van here so he can take the car to work and not worry that I'm stranded at home if somethign were to happen. The thing is, his parents live 5 minutes from here and my Mom is 15 from here AND he has a BUNCH of other family that lives from 5-20 minutes away. I'm not sure what he expects to go wrong that couldn't be taken care of by SOMEone (plus, if worst came to worst, there's always 911.)

I really think we should sell it but he doesn't think we cou;d get enough for it to make it worth selling (hello? Every penney counts and helps us out?! Are we gonna get more now while it's running decent or later when it doesn't work at all?)

I'm going to keep talking to him about it because I really think it will be fine in the long run, and when we have more money we can get a 2nd car, I just don't think it's worth having right now!

Old 03-11-09, 01:13 AM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Weekly Activity 87.14%

I would get rid of the car pronto. Why doesn't your brother just buy it from you? I would put the money toward the cc debt and try to get that paid of asap then you can put that money toward the van.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools