Baby Corner

Old 07-10-07, 05:11 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 20%
Default home equity loan

OK, so dh and I have a line of credit with a variable rate. We are taking out a new loan to pay it off and getting one with a fixed rate and we are paying off a few other loans with it as well. Dh is going crazy with home improvement ideas to add on to the new loan and we didn't even apply yet!

We hired a painter to fix a few ceilings that badly needed to be skim-coated and dh and his dad are going to do all fo the painting. We are also getting a new bannister, since ours is pretty rickety and with a baby on the way we didn't want to take any chances. All of this is in our budget, no big deal.

Now dh wants to get all new appliances in the kitchen, and he wants stainless! He also wants to buy new living room and bedroom furniture, which, yes, we do need, but not so badly that I feel we shoud go into this much more debt!!

OK, maybe I should have put this on the rant board! But, I am just freaked as it is knowing that I will be home from at least November until the end of August WITHOUT a PAYCHECK!!!! We were taking out the new loan to consolidate some debt and save monthly money in the short term. Why go crazy with things that we are not in dire need of?

OK, sorry for the long rant! I am done now!

Old 07-10-07, 05:35 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 120%

I think you are smart to be wary of the new purchases. My humble suggestion is to back off the extra purchases and just stick to the repairs. Babies are expensive and the planning we did for my maternity leaves was never quite enough because we always did some "extra" stuff.

Hold off on the wants, and go for the needs for now.
Good luck!

Old 07-10-07, 05:46 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I have to agree with Sarah. With the baby coming, I'd definitely make the changes you need to make to ensure a safe home environment for the baby, but I'd hold off on the other unnecessary items. You could save and pay cash for them (buy them off of Craigslist--you can get stuff for a STEAL on there!

) and just wait it out.

You won't regret a rickety fridge or a lopsided sofa when that baby is in your arms!

Old 07-10-07, 06:13 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

improving your home is almost always an excellent investment.
Buying new furniture is not really such a great idea with a new baby on the way.

Best to hold off on the furniture until AFTER the baby is potty trained and doesn't jump on the furniture much anymore. Otherwise, you're just going to buy new furniture that'll be nasty and ruined long before the end of it's life.

Old 07-10-07, 07:35 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 20%

All good points that I am completely on board with. Now if I could just persuade dh!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools