Baby Corner

Old 05-14-07, 08:06 AM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Default house buying questions

Dh and I are under contract to buy a new house. The home insection revealed some issues with the furnace- it works fine but there are things that should be fixed for maximum performance and safety issues. Then there are some cosmetic things the seller has agreed to fix (one is actually in the contract and the others are just a verbal- I'll fix it).

So, how do you go about getting the repairs done? Do you request they make the repairs or do we ask them for a certain amount of money to make the repairs?

The furnace and the screen on the screen porch are the big ones that must be fixed. I wouldn't expect the cosmetics fixed (one globe on a fan/light is broken and the trim above one closet was gouged when the door came off its track) but since she said she was going to, I'll be annoyed if she doesn't. Does this get writen into the contract?

Old 05-14-07, 10:49 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 8607%

You can usually do it either way, but whatever way you go about it---get it in writing!!! So if you're going to ask for money at the closing, put that in the contract.

When we bought our house, there were a few things that needed to be done also. The flue liner was cracked in the fireplace, the electrical boxes weren't grounded together, and there were termites found in the firewood outside. So we countered by asking the seller to have the entire house treated for termites (can never be too sure), fix the electrical boxes, and give us $1000 at closing to fix the fireplace. They agreed and at the closing, they had had everything fixed, per the contract, and they gave us the $1000 (we used it to buy other things and still haven't had the fireplace fixed 5 years later

).

So it's fine to do it either way (ask them to fix it and provide documentation as to such or to provide cash at closing).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Old 05-14-07, 06:28 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

gosh, for such teeny tiny stuff like that, I wouldn't bother with any of that.

You usually don't request the seller to fix any of that minor stuff unless it's a majorly buyer's market.

It sounds like you've already gone back to the seller and requested that they fix the findings as the contingency to the final acceptance of the contract. If that's the case, an addendum will need to be written however you agree to them and leave it at that.

Having to service the furnace is a given when you move in, btw.

Personally, if you want them to cover the costs, then ask for a credit (with an appropriate $ figure) and then have it all done yourself. that way you can ensure it gets done to your satisfaction and to your time frame.

Old 05-14-07, 09:20 PM
Community Member

Thanked 5 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

The furnace issues are more than just a basic servicing. There are safety issues with how it was installed. The screen porch...was something the seller has mentioned numerous time so I wrote it in because she kept mentioning fixing it. The little things- I did speak with my realtor today and decided to forget about them. I was just thinking I'm going to be bugged if they don't fix them becuase she TOLD me she would. I never asked her to do it. I just don't like being misled.

In other news...we got the radon test back today. Good god...acceptable ranges are 2-4 (however they measure) and this came back at 18!!!

We haven't made any requests yet. I ordered a radon water test today to see what's happening in the water.

If they don't want to fix the items or give us a credit...oh well, we will find another house.

Old 05-14-07, 10:06 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 12%

They are required to do the radon abatement system. Our house had high radon and it was fine after the system was put in.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

July 2018 Baby Photo Contest Winner
July 2018 Winner
Congratulations Willow!

Calculators & Tools