Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters how do you budget for this

how do you budget for this

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-31-06, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Default how do you budget for this

i was wondering for those that have strict budgets..

for example: I need a few things but am not ready for my big weekly food shopping.
I need..bathroom cleaner, hair gel, laundry detergent, cake making supplies for this weekend and a few other things

Now i know that i will go buy them but not count that in towards my weekly food budget (that I haven't set yet but i am thinking about it)

If i was to buy these things when i did my food shopping then I would I guess but little things here and there is going to sabotage my budget..do you have any idea what I mean?

Old 08-31-06, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

good question, can't wait to see what they say...

Old 08-31-06, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

That is my biggest problem when I try to budget. I always fail and then get discouraged. Maybe Deanna has a good answer.

Old 08-31-06, 10:54 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 8607%

Yes, that happens to us, too. We shop for lots of those things at Sam's Club and we allot for that in our budget. When it comes time and we have an extra expense that we forgot about, that's why we budget a miscellaneous envelope each time. Inevitably, with a last name like Murphy, it's only responsible of us to expect Murphy's Law to wreck our plans (and it often does

) but we've learned to smack Murphy in the face by allotting $20 each month for instances such as these.

If we KNOW we're going to have an extra grocery expense, we budget extra for that.

The idea is to make a written budget, on paper, on purpose, to spend your money on paper before you ever get the money out of the bank.

The Miscellaneous money can be put toward something fun, if we so decide, or it can be used toward a purchase that we didn't expect.

But--shopping at Sam's has cut down on the emergency toilet paper runs and stuff that used to draw us to the grocery and inevitably cause us to spend more than we anticipated.

Does that makes sense??

Old 08-31-06, 10:56 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Completely makes sense!

Latest Articles
Babies Understand More Language Than We Think
A new study from the University of Washington shows that babies learn language much sooner than we thought. Learn why it's important to read and talk to your baby early, and often.

Star Pregnancy and Birth Announcements Summer 2014
See the pregnancy and birth announcements for summer of 2014 including Kristen Bell, Jimmy Kimmel, Eva Mendes and more!

Am I Pregnant or is this PMS?
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're pregnant, or if your period is just coming late this month. Use this guide to help you tell the difference.

The EEOC Updates the Pregnancy Discrimination Act
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has revised it's guidelines protecting working pregnant women, and those who wish to become pregnant even more than before.

Cloth Diapers vs Disposables
Should you use cloth diapers, or disposable? Find out with our cloth vs disposable diaper buying guide, and get advice on how best to choose.

May 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations farul!

Calculators & Tools