Baby Corner

Old 09-27-10, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 44.29%
Default How does one figure out....

(I apologize in advance because I've talked about this before)

I am still beside myself trying to figure out whether it's better financially to move or to add on to our current home. We have some maternity leave debt to pay off, so we have a little bit of time do decide.

See, I decided I was done doing fertility treatments, and we put a bunch of money into this house, which only has 3 small bedrooms. Then, I got myself knocked up again and gave birth to pure joy.... but "pure joy" has noplace to sleep!

Our room is ok in size, but the other 2 bedrooms are 8x10 and 10x12, and the 10x12 has a tiny closet, so physically, I don't even know if a twin bed will fit in that 3rd bedroom along with a dresser. This house is too small for us the way it is. As it is right now, I don't think we've "overimproved" our house. I think we're about at the max for what we could get back out of it. However, for the remodel we'd plan, which would just be an extra room and bathroom over the garage, I really think we would be over the top improved compared with the other houses in our neighborhood, even with just regular finishes.

We could buy a kinda newer, bigger house for less than what we would have "into" this house. I'm not talking about a castle or a new construction-- just a regular house like ours but with the space we need. I'm thinking about 20-30k less. But, moving is a PITA. Then there are realtor fees, etc.

So how do i figure this out???

Old 09-27-10, 09:34 PM
is all about the PINK!!!
Proud American Teacher!!

Thanked 652 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I think you just need to get two or three contracting estimates (then add 20%) and get two or three house sale proposals as well as the neighborhood comps for your house and the houses like yours with the addition and then do the math.

BTW -- I hate math, so if you can get someone to do this all for you.....

Old 09-27-10, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

See there would be no comp for our house with the addition. There are more beautiful homes in the neighborhood but none that would be as new inside.

Old 09-27-10, 09:54 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I think you really have to pay attention to the size and appraised values of the houses in the neighborhood. It's always better to have the least improved house in the neighborhood, as the more improved houses will bring up the value of your place. The more improved houses get pulled down by the other houses, since there isn't something comparable around. For example, when they appraise your house for sale, they get three comps, and then add money for additional bedrooms/bathrooms, better condition, etc. But the compensatory amounts don't cover the cost of adding those improvements. They might add $5-10k for another bedroom, but it'd cost you more than that to build it. Of course, if the improvement will make the house livable for you for many, many years, it won't matter. If you think you'll move in less than 10 years anyway, it'd be better to move now, even with the hassle.

It really sounds like, given the room sizes, closet space, lack of another bathroom, etc., that it'd be hard to make this house suffice for your family. As the boys get bigger, the tiny rooms and lack of closet space will really start to hurt, even if you add the fourth bedroom.

Last edited by rudolphia; 09-27-10 at 09:56 PM.

Old 09-28-10, 01:28 PM
~~Sharyn~~

Thanked 575 Times
Level: 4
Weekly Activity 1008.57%

Whenever my realtor friend was talking about home prices she'd tell me what the $ per sq foot was.

I would do as Oreo said, get constructin quotes and then talk to a realtor about the value before/after the add-on. Even if there are no comparable homes you could probably get an idea of the value.

Could you make the small bedrooms larger as well as adding on another one?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools