Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Lost Your Password?

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters How are you teaching your kids about money?

How are you teaching your kids about money?

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-29-06, 10:03 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 2%
Default How are you teaching your kids about money?

Connor thinks money grows on trees..... and I don't want him thinking that!

So when he wants something, I've started having him get money from his piggy bank-- and we give him $2 week for his 'chores'-- feeding the dog, getting the newspaper, clearing the dishes after dinner, putting clothes in the hamper, putting his laudry away!

It's kind of working

Old 08-29-06, 10:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

I haven't really taught DD about it. She gets money for her bank but not in response to doing chores. I will eventually do this though

Old 08-29-06, 10:58 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Weekly Activity 12%

This is a big concern for me with a baby on the way. It seems like kids now get everything they want and don't understand the concept of earning anything. I read a really good book called How Much is Enough, which talks about how important it is for kids to have chores and receive a regular allowance to teach them that they have responsibilities and that money needs to be saved to meet goals.

There's a lot to figure out.

Old 08-30-06, 10:52 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 8607%

When Sarah gets to be another year or two older, we'll do Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace Junior" plan with her. It works on a commission system--work=get paid, don't work=don't get paid. Since that's how it is the real world, his plan teaches kids that they have to earn what they earn, and they don't get paid just for breathing. They have to work above and beyond family repsonsibilities to earn money. So "chores" don't necessarily earn them "allowance."

He also helps out his children by having a 401(Dave) plan. In the 410(Dave) plan, he matches what his kids save after they give and spend. So at certain intervals, he checks their savings and matches how much they saved in that period of time. This way, they can understand how saving money in the appropriate places and actually "earn" more money! We really like this idea and plan to use it for the girls.

Old 08-30-06, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 2%

Wow I like that idea about matching their money Deanna.

Right now Kayleigh gets all the change in the house.

She scoops it up from my DH's nightstand valet and puts it in her bank. One bank is totally full and the other is getting there and I told her we should put it in the real bank and make more money. So the other day we started to empty it and OMG she thought I was stealing her money.

We also put any money she gets from gifts (birthday, holidays) into her bank account. When she starts to get older and is more aware that she is getting money in the mail we'll make sure she saves some and she can spend some. I think when I was growing up I could use half and save half. A lot of times I would put the whole thing in the bank "for now".

Latest Articles
Antibiotics Used During Pregnancy Linked to Child Obesity
A new study from Columbia University has found that antibiotic use during pregnancy is linked to later child obesity.

Celebrity Baby Watch November 2014
Find out whose pregnant, and whose expecting in our monthly celebrity pregnancy and births update for November, 2014.

The Importance of Baby Talk and Why Fathers Need to Do it More
A new study shows that verbal communication with babies happens more by Moms more than Dads. If you are a new Dad, here are some tips for talking more to your baby.

Can What a Man Drinks Affect His Fertility?
Yes. It turns out that drinking a pint of beer per day helps increase male fertility. Learn why.

Maternity Belts To Relieve Back and Pelvic Pain in Pregnancy
Consider using a maternity belt to help relieve the back and pelvic pressure and pain you might feel during your third trimester of pregnancy.

October 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

"Callum is about to be a big brother!" Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations emilygrace87!

Calculators & Tools