Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Materials/Organization for starting a budget

Materials/Organization for starting a budget

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 08-27-06, 03:07 PM
is overwhelmed
CL & Mommy 2 Three

Thanked 387 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 87.14%
Smile Materials/Organization for starting a budget

I know some ladies were wondering what/how to get started. I thought I would post the things I use to help me and how I have them organized. I also thought this would be a good place to share your ideas if you are already budgeting.

Materials (I either had these at home, got them off the computer or got them at Target for under $20)
1 1/2 - 2" 3 ring binder
calculator
pencils
zippered pocket for 3 ring binder (for keeping pencils, checkbook, calculator)
Lg expanding file folder
Legal envelope size expanding file folder with at least 13 pockets (if you are planning on using cash envelopes)

In the binder
I have a calendar printed out for each month. On the calendar I have paydays and things that we need to save up for, like birthdays, car reg, etc highlighted. As bills come in I mark them on the calendar for how much and when they are due. Once my budget is figured out for the month I also put how much cash I need to withdraw from the bank each payday for our cash envelopes. Behind each month's calendar I have our monthly budget sheets and behind those I have the money flow sheets that show what amounts for each item are coming out of each payday. I also keep the zippered pocket with checkbook, calculator, pencils, and pens in the binder so I don't have to search for those things when I am ready to work on the budget or paybills.

The large expanding file folder I use to put the paid bills, to be discarded once I am sure there is no question that they were paid.

The smaller expanding file I use to keep my cash envelopes organized.

Old 08-27-06, 05:06 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%

Awesome! You're FAR more organized than we are!

Nice ideas! I might steal a couple of those ideas!!

Old 08-27-06, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

thanks Melanie...

Old 08-28-06, 10:52 AM
CL & Perpetual Pollyanna

Thanked 24 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Those are great ideas!

I don't do too much, I keep a spreadsheet in Excel listing each payday across the top, and down the side I put all my bills and which payday they will be paid in. When they are paid I highlight it in yellow so I know what still needs to be paid.

Old 08-28-06, 01:53 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 30%

I really like the calendar idea!!

You are very organized!!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools