Old 09-22-09, 12:14 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 6147.86%
Question Pay schedule

How often to you/DH get paid?

Andy gets paid on the 15th and last day of the month right now. We just got word that starting with the January 15, 2010 paycheck, his company is switching to an every-other-Friday pay day. This throws a MAJOR wrench into our budgeting process that we've perfected over the last 4 years.

It's going to take some big-time adjustment for us to get used to the new system...and I'm NOT looking forward do it.

If you get paid every other week, how do you budget to make sure all the bills are paid in a timely fashion and the mortgage is covered appropriately? Any insight would be helpful. TIA!

Old 09-22-09, 12:46 PM
is loving my new job!
Kaitlyn & Nicole's Mommy

Thanked 415 Times
Level: 5
Weekly Activity 1372.86%

Its hard. Before DH got this new job, we both got paid biweekly and on the SAME week! Now..DH gets paid every week, which is a big help. Honestly, not every bill gets paid each month. Heck...my mortgage alone is more than my paycheck, so we try to put money in our "mortgage" account. Credit cards normally get paid first..then the rest of the bills.

Old 09-22-09, 01:36 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Maybe you need to switch to a 4 week (or 2 week)budget instead of a monthly budget? It will be a bit confusing at first, but I know you can handle it!

Old 09-22-09, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

We don't have things as perfect as you do, so my advice won't be great, but we get paid every other week.

At the moment, we get paid on opposite weeks, but my check is for quite a bit more than DHs, and it's a predictable number, wheras dh's can fluctuate by hundreds of dollars. What I do is pay my bills online. Even if the bill isn't due until say, the 30th, I have it set up to get paid slightly earlier and deduct it from our pay right then. It works out that I have a bunch of bills that come out on the 9th and a bunch that come out on the 18th. This way it doesn't appear that I have "all this money" sitting in the bank when really I dont (which you will know anyway with the budget.)

I'd say you probably need a longer budget, not a shorter one. Probably a 6 week or 2 month budget, since you are used to getting paid on certain dates, not certain DAYS of the month. I think it will be confusing at first but no more difficult than before.

You can totally do it!

Old 09-22-09, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,117 Times
Weekly Activity 44.29%

Does this mean his checks will be for less? Some months have more than 4 Fridays in them, so he could get paid 3 times that month. If that were the case then I'm guessing his checks would be for less to cover those times.
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools