Baby Corner

Old 07-12-09, 08:23 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Default Private School!Desperate Mom!

My DH and i just found out today that our son (7) has been accepted into possibly one of the most prestigious schools in New York, we applyed their the day he was born but never in a million years thought he would get in!Hed be starting 4th grade there in Sept!
Luckily we are finacially comfortable at the moment and my DS is already in private education but this school has fees of $30,000+

, i feel its worth every penny, education is a huge part of my parenting beliefs,my DH is a little more cautious considering the economy at the moment, we can afford it if we want to and i want to give my kids the best education i can and our lives would be a little less "comfortable" but i dont know what to do,

i feel im being selfish if i dont sacrifice everything i can for him!if we do send him their chances are his brother will also be accepted which would make things less "comfortable" and im due our 3rd in oct, and theirs no way we could afford all of them at the moment without drastic changes anyway but then again who knows where well be in another 7 years things could change but i dont know what to do!

Advice please!!
x

Last edited by PariBbbb; 07-12-09 at 11:45 PM.

Old 07-12-09, 08:56 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3513.06%

Wow, that's great that there is an opening. BUT--if it were us, I'd opt to send them to a different elementary/high school and invest that money for college. There's no way I'd spend $30,000/year for elementary school but saddle my kids with college debt.

When your kiddos go to get jobs in the future, employers won't care what elementary school they attended. Your children won't get any lesser an education from a more affordable school and you'll be able to sock away money to send them to college--when the choice of school might matter in the long run.

Also, if you could never afford to send all three to that school, your "guilt" will be triplefold when you can't afford to send this new baby to that school. That seems to be setting them all up for competition and stuff--never a good thing.

Good luck making your decision.
Thank you Dopey406!
PariBbbb (07-12-09)

Old 07-12-09, 11:10 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

I firmly and honestly believe (and can almost guarantee) that the prestige of a school doesn't make a child's learning any better than a school of lesser prestige. What matters is the attention the parents put daily into their child's life and their schoolwork efforts and very little more/else.

Academics ARE important. The name of the school is NOT. A child can get a first rate, top notch, stellar quality education at a fraction of that $30,000/year price tag. Just think of all the 'life lessons' a person can learn if they were to use that money in other areas? (ie: piano lessons, space camp, dance lessons etc). If you have to scrimp and save and cut out the fat in your lifestyle for this, then it's NOT in the family's best interest.
sh*t happens. Don't set your family up for easy financial ruin if the house of cards suddenly experiences a gust of wind.
Thank you skyqueen!
PariBbbb (07-12-09)

Old 07-12-09, 11:28 PM
Community Member

Thanked 1 Time
Weekly Activity 0.82%
Arrow

That was my main deterrant, the fact that if i could not send all 3 their that none would go,If my DH and i decided to do this and go for it then it would be doable by changing our lifestyle etc.it wouldnt be skrimping and saving! but if anything went wrong with either businesses we own it could possibly leave us in a financial hole!the future looks bright for both of them but you never know! i agree elementary school is not going to matter when they leave college and enter the working world and that $30,000 seems a little over the top but i suppose i just want the best for them!but i agree that doesnt always mean the most expensive! they all have college funds so they wont be saddled with college debt, im just debating is it worth it, the benefit of attending this school would mainly be its affiliation to the countries best colleges as it is a feeder school to mainly ivy league so evidentally its college were thinking about now, but then that makes me think hes only 7 and im thinking that far ahead?i feel that might be a little too much pressure to put on my children
if we did decide to go ahead with this it wouldnt mean a lesser quality of life for them because we can barely afford their school it would mean differences, like our cars, vacations, luxuries
and the money wouldnt be spent on piano lessons etc those things are already considered it would be invested for the future or spent now, there the options
no closer to a decision although my DH and i are meeting the principal and getting a tour on wednesday!Dont know if that will encourage or deter me!
x

Last edited by PariBbbb; 07-12-09 at 11:38 PM.

Old 07-13-09, 06:05 PM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3513.06%

Just because you pay $30,000/year for elementary school doesn't mean that your children will attend Ivy League colleges. One of my closest friends is a graduate of Yale Law and we come from a podunk little town and small public school in rural Ohio. So don't fall into the trap of believing that every Ivy League kid comes from a certain kind of background.

I think most of the women here will agree that an elementary school education is not worth the $30,000/year price tag. I'm confident that my daughter is receiving an equal education at our private school and we're paying only $3,000/year.

Where has your son been going to school up to this point? Are you dissatisfied with his education? What is your true motivation for wanting to be accepted by this school? Do you really think the education is that superior or is there some other reason you want to send him there?
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools