Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Question for Deanna about groceries......

Question for Deanna about groceries......

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 09-01-06, 11:19 AM
Julia's mommy

Thanked 6 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1.43%
Default Question for Deanna about groceries......

Deanna, how on earth do you get by with spending only $260 a month on groceries for a family of four? If you don't mind me asking, what do you guys eat? I'm pregnant with my first so it's just me and my DH and we are spending way more than that so I cannot figure this out for anything. I grocery shopped last night and am posting a run down of what our bill looked like after all was said and done. We spent $90.00 and this is stuff that will last about a week. I got some great deals and don't think I overspent anywhere. Nor did I buy anything "unnecessary". At this rate we spend about $360 a month on groceries for a family of 2 and there is only stuff for about 4-5 nights worth of dinners, the other 2-3 we'd go out. What do you think? What do you do differently?

Gallon of milk, on sale: $1.99
1 - 12 pack Diet Mountain Dew, on sale: $2.50
1 - 12 pack Diet Pepsi, on sale: $2.50
12 pack of Aquafina water, on sale: $3.99

Loaf of wheat bread, on sale: $1.59
Pound of Turkey, on sale: $4.99
Pound of Roast Beef, on sale: $4.99
Cheese slices: $1.99

Cottage Cheese, on sale: $2.99
2 - ˝ gallons of Eddy’s Low Fat Strawberry Ice Cream, buy-one-get-one-free: $4.99
Whole Watermelon, on sale: $3.99
Bananas: $1.29
Bag of Apples: $3.99
Pears: $3.19

Raisin Bran: $3.99
Granola Bars: $1.99
Yogurt: 5 for $3.00

2 Ribeye Steaks, on sale for approx $10.00
2 pounds hamburger meat $3.58
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts: $4.99
Brats: $2.99
Hot dog buns: $1.00

Corn on the Cob: 5 for $1.00
Broccoli, on sale 2 for $3.00
Carrots $2.00
Head of Lettuce: $1.29
Tomatoes: $1.50
Cucumbers: $1.50
Onion: $.50

Old 09-01-06, 11:26 AM
SAHM and Lucky Wife

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

your groceries sound so healthy! I need to do some major reanalyzing of what we buy!

Old 09-01-06, 11:37 AM
Community Member

Thanked 33 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

She mentioned in previous threads that she does not buy much meat, no soda and I'll make a wager that the bottled water will not be on her list either.

From her posts they eat very simple right now to allow for the debt payoff.

Your list sounds great btw.

Old 09-01-06, 11:49 AM
SAHM and Lucky Wife

Thanked 0 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

eeeksss...that is where I am going wrong, LOL We buy a lot of steaks...as my dh and dd's are big meat eaters....I prefer chicken which is a little cheaper than steaks...but I would be happy w/ a bowl of Cookie Crisp!!!!

Old 09-01-06, 11:51 AM
Julia's mommy

Thanked 6 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

We do try to eat pretty healthy although there are definitely times that we don't. Looking at my list I really don't think there is anything extravagant but you're right about the water. I normally don't buy bottled water, we have a bottled water service because we are on a well and our water is awful. But since I'm pregnant and I'm drinking soooo much water I am buying some individually bottled water to grab on the way out the door. It's MUCH cheaper than buying it at a gas station, etc.

Get this.....I am already sending my DH back to the grocery store for things we forgot! How horrible is that?

I wasn't thinking yesterday but we have a four day weekend since Monday is a holiday and we're taking Tuesday off to extend the weekend. I told him since we'll be home we need stuff for breakfast so he's going to get: eggs, sausage, frozen hashbrowns, pancake mix and orange juice. I'm guessing this will cost another $10.00-$12.00 so we're up to $100.00 a week on groceries!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools