Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3513.06%
Cool For those of us who budget...

...what does your budget look like?

How many are in your family?
How much do you budget for what?
Do you budget with cash or do you use checks/debit?
How do you divvy up the portions of your budget?
Do you stick to your budget?

For those who DON'T budget, this might be helpful in getting started. And for those who DO budget, this might be helpful in refining our systems.

Old 08-28-06, 11:46 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 3513.06%

How many are in your family? 4--DH, me, two DDs, ages 1 & 3.

How much do you budget for what?
We usually pay all of our bills on the 1st and 15th of the month to get them out of the way. Then we break down our 5 regular categories into the following:
  • Groceries--$130
  • Diapers--whatever we anticipate needing. Never more than $45, but every other time it's nothing.
  • Gas--again, depends on our anticipated travel--usually $50-75.
  • Miscellaneous--$20
  • Dining Out--$20
Then we get our "Pork Barrel" list out and make envelopes for anything else we'll need for that two-week period. Oil for car, specific clothing needs, Sarah's preschool, etc.

Do you budget with cash or do you use checks/debit? We use only cash. We don't keep exact track of our money if we use the debit. So we pay for everything with cash now.

How do you divvy up the portions of your budget? We divide the money up into envelopes and if we are going out for something, we take the envelope with us. We don't split it between the two of us or anything. Just envelopes. In fact, this morning, DH got halfway to work and realized he'd need gas today, so he turned around to come back for the gas envelope.

Do you stick to your budget? We have to stick to our budget because it's in cold, hard cash. Sometimes we have to take from the Miscellaneous envelope to cover a miscalculation somewehre or an unexpected expense, but we usually stick to it pretty well.

ETA: I forgot to mention that after we pay the bills and divvy up the envelopes, we put ALL of the leftover money (except about $40 just to be safe) toward our debt. We leave ourselves a $40 cushion in case something comes up. But we put everything extra toward debt.

Last edited by Dopey406; 08-28-06 at 11:49 AM.

Old 08-28-06, 03:00 PM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 17.14%

You know Deanna I thought I was very organized with budgeting but I've got a looooong way to go!!

I like the cash envelopes idea!!
There are 6 of us in our family. When Kim gets paid we pay our bills first and put gas in the vehicles. Whatever's left is for food and entertainment, or whatever. That's the extent of my budgeting- I'm awful!!!

Old 08-28-06, 03:12 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 170 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

i sort of have a budget but use my debit card for everything and then i write it in the checkbook so i keep track that way.

family of 4
I generally know how much a month l spend on things but i always spend a little extra here and there

Like for food I figure about $600 a month with a little extra a BJ"s
Gas: $500-$600
Misc: $200

we kind of eat out sporadically so ir eally dont' budget for that either
To be honest..I never say well..i spent $600 on food this month already so I should watch out the ret of the month

I guess I need to keep better tabs on what I spend

so i guess i really don't have a budget..

Old 08-28-06, 03:17 PM
is one busy mamma
Proud Adoptive Mom!

Thanked 3 Times
Weekly Activity 0.82%

You all are so organized!

We have 5 in our family right now.

What I do is make a pencil list of all my anticipated expenses in the beginning of every month. Then I add what I know I will be bringing in, and whatever I have left goes into savings or for unexpected expenses. I thought I was being organized until I saw what some of you do!

Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
December 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations Zchuff!

Calculators & Tools