Baby Corner

Old 02-19-09, 05:03 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 8.57%
Question Who do I call?

We keep recieveing hospital bills in the mail from when Athemia was born. They FIANLLY sent it through the insurance, but since they sent it so late, it says we own $150. If they would have sent it through when they were supposed to, it would have been paid by the insurance in full and we would owe NOTHING. Dh's ins changed their policy for the new year. Now, there is a co-pay, so while he pays less through his pay-check, we pay a bigger co-pay. The old policy we paid $30 per appointment and absolutely nothing for all pg check-ups/giving birth.

My question is who do I call about this? Do i call the hospital and reem them out (or at least ask why we have to pay when they didn't send it to the ins when they shoudl have.) or do I call the ins and say hey, dd was born in August and the policy didn't change until Jan, why do I have to pay?

This is SOOOO frustrating! All we wanna do is get out of debt and the hospital/insurance co is NOT helping! UGH!

Old 02-19-09, 05:13 PM
is relaxed and refreshed after vacation!
VIP Member

Thanked 481 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

Call the insurance company first- document who you speak with - explain the situation- this was for services in 08- so it should be applied to 08 contract terms for insurance...

what is the $150 for? late fees or deductibles? If it's late fees then you can send proof of the original bill dated in Aug and document that's when the ins company should have received...
Thank you ~Kelli~!
koala_kaper (02-19-09)

Old 02-19-09, 05:15 PM
Long Time Member

Thanked 422 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I would start with the hospital billing department because ultimately, it's them that have to be paid.

Just give them the timeline of how it went down and tell them that if they want extra money, they'll have to find a way to squeeze it out of the insurance company. NOT you. Because from where I (you) stand, the problem came from the hospital's billing department for failure on their part. Nobody elses.
Thank you skyqueen!
koala_kaper (02-19-09)

Old 02-19-09, 05:16 PM
is Back to work :(
Proud SAHM

Thanked 377 Times
Weekly Activity 1.43%

I would call both. If you were covered under the other type of policy when your dd was born then the insurance company is obligated to pay-if they refuse bc the hospital dragged their heels on sending the bills, then it is the hospital's issue with the insurance company (as far as I am concerned).
Thank you teddybear1082!
koala_kaper (02-19-09)

Old 02-19-09, 05:22 PM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Weekly Activity 8.57%

I *think* the $150 is just what we would owe bc of the way the ins is now. I'm not completely sure though. Whatever it's for, technically we should not have to pay it (even if it's a late fee, it's still the hospitals fault) I think I will have to wait until tomorrow to call, but I want to get it done before the weekend. Maybe I'll try now, it's not quite 4:30 so maybe they will still be there

Just frustrating!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools