Baby Corner

Old 08-29-06, 09:55 PM
is reading!
Rudi - VIP CL & mom of 2

Thanked 681 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 10.91%

My dad was good with money, but was such a tightwad that he never shared any information with any of us.

I learned from reading books in anticipation of buying a house someday. Before I even had my own credit, I knew how destructive it was to have a lot of revolving credit, so I never got into trouble.

Old 08-29-06, 10:27 PM
is in love with the new man in her life!
VIP Member

Thanked 179 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

My mom taught me. She was a widow and invested my dad's life insurance. DH's mother is a corporate accountant so he had good training too.

Old 08-30-06, 09:46 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 7824.55%

I didn't grow up with my mother, but my father was horrible with money--still is--so I was never taught anything about money really. That's partly why we're in the hole we're in. DH's parents are give spenders with no real focus on how much they spend (until recently that is--we've got them hooked on Dave Ramsey and they've paid off their car and two credit cards so far!

).

Old 08-30-06, 10:31 AM
is enjoying the warm weather
VIP Member

Thanked 624 Times
Weekly Activity 38.18%

My parents were good with money- especially my dad. He grew up really poor, so I think he was afraid of not having anything as an adult so he was pretty tight with money- always saving for a rainy day and such!
I have zero money saved!

Old 08-30-06, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 152 Times
Weekly Activity 1.82%

My Dad was great with money. He did what Deanna and Mel keep talking about with the envelopes.

He tried really hard to teach my brother and I about money. I did better with it then my brother did. Oy he just doesn't know how to save at all.

My Mom died when I was 13 and got sick when I was 8 so I don't remember too much about her teaching me anything. I do remember that if she wanted something she would save for it or somehow make it work. I remember how excited she was when she got a pair of dress boots she was eyeing.

She was a big bingo player with my neighbor and she was pretty lucky a lot of times so I'm sure that helped her with her shopping.

Oh and Bingo was an envelope in my Dad's filing system (budget)

After my Mom died my Dad started to live in the Now a bit more and stopped worrying about so much. He realized life was too short so he started to do a bit more. My Dad died when I was 25 and my brother and I got a bit jaded and felt like there was no reason to save etc and we should enjoy life now. Not a good move I'm sure.

My Dad did do pretty well with investments and property and his wife of 4yrs reeped all the benefits of my Mom & Dad saving all those years.

My DH is very good with money and I believe his parents taught him it?

Latest Articles
13 Ways to Naturally Relieve Morning Sickness
Is morning sickness getting you down? Here are 13 ways to help calm your stomach, and relieve morning sickness whether you have it in the morning, afternoon, or all day.

Milk Allergy in Infants
Sometimes it's difficult to tell if your baby is sick, or if s(he) has a milk or forumula allergy. Learn the difference, the symptoms and treatment options of milk allergies in infants.

Here's Why Eating Organic During Pregnancy Is Better
During pregnancy, it might be wise to switch to eating organic foods for the health of your baby. Learn why.

BPA Exposure and Infertility in Women
BPA seems to have an effect on infants, children, and pregnant women, and there also seems to be a link between BPA and infertility in women.

Kate Middleton Suffers Severe Morning Sickness in Second Pregnancy
Kate Middleton is once again experiencing severe morning sickness, or hyperemesis gravidarum, in her second pregnancy.

July 2014 Baby Photo Contest Winner

Baby Photo Contest Winner
Congratulations nwad2470!

Calculators & Tools