Baby Corner

Baby, Trying to Conceive and Pregnancy Message Boards

Member Login

Baby Corner Message Board > Parent to Parent > Coupons, Savings & Money Matters Year not turning out good financially....

Year not turning out good financially....

Post Reply Post New Topic  

Old 04-19-10, 10:01 AM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%
Default Year not turning out good financially....

Our dog needs surgery, which we have known about since like November, but it is not life-threatening & it is $2500.00. We have not gotten it yet & only recently saw how much worse she was getting, so we have been trying to sell stuff on Craiglist to see if we can come up with most of it instead of financing the entire amount.

I just HAD to get a new dishwasher & just HAD to get the one that is $500.00 after taxes & such, on a no-interest for 6 months plan b/c I thought it would be no problem to use my $350.00 bonus to pay for most of that. (this was before dog started getting worse)

Now I'm pregnant and this is the 1st year we have been on the new High Deductible HSA plan through my work. We chose it b/c the other PPO plan was WAY more expensive out of my paycheck each week. (oh, and I had to get my 1st prescription on this plan last week and it was $123.00 for 1 month supply!) At my 1st appt they told me I had to pay $200.00 deposit even though I don't have co-pays, she said she checked with this insurance company first & that it was correct. Then I get the BILL from the OBGYN. It is like I don't even have insurance! I have to meet that high deductible before the carrier pays for anything, which I knew going in, but I guess I figured the pay plan would be more tailored to what we could afford. Nope. The OBGYN bills says I have to pay half of that $4,000.00 deductible by September and my 1st bill of $549.98 is due by May 21st!!!!! And what gets me is they are basing that off of what is left of the deductible the day they wrote that up, but everytime I go to any other doctor (me, Dh, dd) & prescriptions paid for with my HSA card all bring down that deductible as well.

I was freaking out when I saw it. I even told Dh I wonder what they would do if I refused treatment and just stayed away, eating right & taking my vitamins until it was time for the baby to be born? I mean, centuries ago no one went to the doctor every week to have their stomach measured, right?

Dh said he thinks we should use the money we've been trying to come up with for the dog's surgery (which $1,000.00 we just got from him selling an old, run down truck) for the OBGYN bill and then finance the dog's surgery, but I think even the longest no interest payment was for 18 months & was $140.00 (or was it $180.00 a month?) And then the dishwasher.....ugh, what were we thinking??

Oh, that reminds me...gotta call the auto ins agent & get the truck taken off! If you made this far through my whining, thanks-you're an angel!

Old 04-19-10, 10:19 AM
is mommy to 3 divas and a little man
Toddler and Twin Mommy

Thanked 69 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 1720%

*hugs* A lot of us are in the same boat in some form or another.

Old 04-19-10, 10:44 AM
is loving her husband and children!
Administrator

Thanked 1,189 Times
Level: 10
Weekly Activity 86070%

I would talk to your OB's office and explain that you're likely to meet your deductible before September and try to figure out some kind of option to cover the expenses owed to them.

Selling stuff on CL is a great way to get some quick influx of cash.

We also switched to an HSA this year and we've already met our $2,600 deductible.

We're hoping to still come out on top...but we'll see.

Thank you Dopey406!
MrsS1stbaby (04-19-10)

Old 04-19-10, 11:55 AM
is a Mommy of 4!
~Christina~

Thanked 219 Times
Level: 1
Weekly Activity 120%

Old 04-19-10, 12:06 PM
is a mother of 2 beautiful kids!
Grounded Dreamer

Thanked 510 Times
Level: 9
Weekly Activity 67520%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey406

Selling stuff on CL is a great way to get some quick influx of cash.

Yea, so far all we have sold is my eliptical machine. I learned a hard lesson on that one: never put OBO in your ad if you really want a certain amount for it!!! That thing went for $20.00 less than I wanted it to!!
Latest Articles
Pregnant Woman's Guide to The Zika Virus
Get the latest information about the zika virus during pregnancy including how to protect your unborn baby or infant, signs and symptoms, complications, and prevention.

Fetal Development Video
Video showing how a fetus developed during the 40 weeks of pregnancy. Fetal Development Video

Adventure Vacations with Your New Family Are Possible
If you spent time as a couple exploring vast areas of the world, that doesn't have to end just because you have a new baby. Here are 6 tips to make your vacations fun for the whole family. Plus, vacation ideas to help you get started.

The "Mozart" Effect: How Music Helps Your Baby's Development
Can your baby really be smarter if your listen to Mozart, or other classical music, during pregnancy?

What to Expect Postpartum: Your Period
The postpartum period brings many changes to a woman's body. Learn what to expect with your period including when it will return and warning signs to watch out for.

May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
May 2017 Baby Photo Contest Winner
"Kiara"
Congratulations jaydipdave!

Calculators & Tools